Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My first tele project guitar!

Jamie K

Question

So, I have built a strat body guitar before, but it was an "all parts included" Carvin Bolt (and I ultimately sold it). I'm now anxiously awaiting a new warmoth custom maple neck (satin finish) and swamp ash body, and itching to pull the trigger on the parts/hardware to complete the job.

By nature I'm a cheap SOB, but I keep thinking this is the way to go: http://www.callahamguitars.com/partstel.htm

With the Callaham tele hardware kit, it's got all the goods except the pickups, and it includes a pre-wired control assembly and that sweet callaham vintage bridge. I definitely want to go vintage 50's twang, and this is a guitar I want to be a player, so it's gotta have the tone.

Is it cork-sniffer BS to spend this kind of money on tele parts, knowing that I could get the same items (albeit made in China) for at least $150 less?

Then there is the question of pick-ups. Again the Callaham cryo-treated Fralins sound pretty much perfect, although he doesn't specify what kind of wind they are...just that he finishes them with wax potting and cryo treatment. I thought about GFS "killers" but I'm not sure if I shouldn't just do the whole guitar in high end parts.

In terms of finish, I have a friend who does custom paint for motorcycles and cars, and he will definitely help me out for cheap. I like a transparent finish...maybe blue or green. Would this be just a stain followed by a clear coat? Totally clueless here.

So, hit me with any opinions or suggestions...I'm all ears.

Jamie

2 answers to this question

With the Callaham tele hardware kit, it's got all the goods except the pickups, and it includes a pre-wired control assembly and that sweet callaham vintage bridge. I definitely want to go vintage 50's twang, and this is a guitar I want to be a player, so it's gotta have the tone.

That's a cool rig. Order the one with the control plate flipped 180degr.

Is it cork-sniffer BS to spend this kind of money on tele parts, knowing that I could get the same items (albeit made in China) for at least $150 less?

Maybe a bit of corksniffery, but for the extra cash you'll be getting superior hardware while supporting a USA small businessman. I can vouch for the quality of Mike's parts. F**k China...

Then there is the question of pick-ups. Again the Callaham cryo-treated Fralins sound pretty much perfect, although he doesn't specify what kind of wind they are...just that he finishes them with wax potting and cryo treatment. I thought about GFS "killers" but I'm not sure if I shouldn't just do the whole guitar in high end parts.

Pickups are really subjective. Luckily, if you don't shorten the cables, install neatly and keep your receipt most stores will let you return them.

In terms of finish, I have a friend who does custom paint for motorcycles and cars, and he will definitely help me out for cheap. I like a transparent finish...maybe blue or green. Would this be just a stain followed by a clear coat? Totally clueless here.

http://www.reranch.com. Plenty of info here: ReRanch Shows How to Stain Finishes...

edited out the bad advice, inserted the better...

That's a cool rig. Order the one with the control plate flipped 180degr.

Maybe a bit of corksniffery, but for the extra cash you'll be getting superior hardware while supporting a USA small businessman. I can vouch for the quality of Mike's parts. F**k China...

Pickups are really subjective. Luckily, if you don't shorten the cables, install neatly and keep your receipt most stores will let you return them.

http://www.reranch.com. Plenty of info here: ReRanch Shows How to Stain Finishes...

edited out the bad advice, inserted the better...

Thanks RobB. The neck and body shipped Monday, so once it arrives I'm gonna assess the pieces and see how inspired I feel to go basic versus all-out. Will definitely do some Callaham parts...the pre-wired control plate is a no-brainer to me, and I like the 180 degree flip idea that puts the p/u control at the bridge end.

Jamie

Archived