yuominae Posted September 2, 2015 Author Posted September 2, 2015 About the date, well, my buyer from TGP found this thread here and had second thoughts, because "A serial" doesn't necessarily mean what you normally think it should mean, so we agreed to cancel the deal. On his instigation I took off the neck though and looked for the date on it and found this: Does that change things. I actually paid 91K JPY for this one. Is that about right or was it too much?
motorpriest Posted September 2, 2015 Posted September 2, 2015 So he is having second thoughts...good.
serial Posted September 2, 2015 Posted September 2, 2015 I think that's a very decent price if my ¥-$ rough conversion still holds.Neck date would rule, I'd say if it is under the finish. None of mine had pencilled neck dates, but they were all later issues. Only my '72 RI Tele Custom had a serial no. decal-the other Teles ('62 and 69 RIs) had serial nos stamped on the bridge.
yuominae Posted September 2, 2015 Author Posted September 2, 2015 So he is having second thoughts...good.Man, so so sorry, but after he saw the pictures of the neck with the date he changed his mind again and bought it. I'm really sorry and should probably have held off a bit before posting here...
yuominae Posted September 2, 2015 Author Posted September 2, 2015 I think that's a very decent price if my ¥-$ rough conversion still holds. Neck date would rule, I'd say if it is under the finish. None of mine had pencilled neck dates, but they were all later issues. Only my '72 RI Tele Custom had a serial no. decal-the other Teles ('62 and 69 RIs) had serial nos stamped on the bridge. Thanks for the info. I needed a quick sale and that price did the trick, although from what a lot of people have been saying I could have asked for more. Oh well, I'll never get rich from GAS... Lol! I think the serial on that one was under the finish. It'd be hard to get the date down in pencil on a poly coat, right? Thanks for all input from everyone. HFC definitely has the most helpful members of all guitar forums
motorpriest Posted September 2, 2015 Posted September 2, 2015 So he is having second thoughts...good. Man, so so sorry, but after he saw the pictures of the neck with the date he changed his mind again and bought it. I'm really sorry and should probably have held off a bit before posting here... Hey, no worries, I was only joking. But check out your PM anyway
serial Posted September 2, 2015 Posted September 2, 2015 I think that's a very decent price if my ¥-$ rough conversion still holds. Neck date would rule, I'd say if it is under the finish. None of mine had pencilled neck dates, but they were all later issues. Only my '72 RI Tele Custom had a serial no. decal-the other Teles ('62 and 69 RIs) had serial nos stamped on the bridge. Thanks for the info. I needed a quick sale and that price did the trick, although from what a lot of people have been saying I could have asked for more. Oh well, I'll never get rich from GAS... Lol! I think the serial on that one was under the finish. It'd be hard to get the date down in pencil on a poly coat, right? Thanks for all input from everyone. HFC definitely has the most helpful members of all guitar forums I would guess it would be nearly impossible! Date looks completely legit. Bottom line is that these are exceptionally good guitars out of the box and in my experience in owning several backs that up for me. The QC on the MIJ stuff in the 80s beats the US RIs in terms of consistency. I've owned a bunch of forgettable 85-96 USA Fender Reissues but all of the MIJ stuff was better. The 81-84 USA stuff is usually exemplary as well from the Fullerton plant. I've owned several of those too.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.