Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Technical question on Schaller M6 minis

Xavier180

Question

Goooooood morning ! 
have to replace two dead tuners on an ‘89 chap and figured out I would replaced the whole set at once.

The tuners are Schaller M6 mini and there is something I cannot figure out about the post length: should I choose 21.7mm or 23.7mm (sorry measurements are in metric standard on Schaller website).

Looking at the tuners on my guitar they seem to be 23.7mm in length but it seems the 21.7mm would fit and even create more angle behind the headstock which could be a good thing to remove tension on the string retainer.

Any suggestion on this one? Have anyone had to replace their tuners recently?

thanks!

2EE1C71F-FA5B-4D81-B4ED-AB579CF392A1.jpeg

9F6131BC-AD80-4311-9544-388BAE10BB46.jpeg

33B29862-1A2E-471D-A4F3-5FB2886A98EF.png

2 answers to this question

Seems to me that when using either size/length Schaller tuner (a standard, old-fashioned, non-locking tuner, of course), if you have more string on the post, it pushes the string winding on the post downward towards the bushing/headstock regardless of post length; and more string on the post (unless you wind your strings on the tuner unevenly and haphazardly) should mean increased string angle until you run out of room at the bushing/headstock...though there's not much post length to work with anyway, regardless of what size/post length tuner is used.  Just a thought.

Archived