BoogieMKIIA Posted September 23 Posted September 23 Anyone have this amp or have used it? A used head with 1x12 can is available locally. At 15W (2xEL84s) it can be cranked a bit in lots of places. We mic our amps so not an issue if we play outside or a bigger venue. An interesting feature the Thick switch on the Bright (normal) channel that removes the tone stack for more gain. The foot switchable Girth channel has higher gain. The price seems good if the tone and performance are there. 1 Quote
Saul Goodman Posted September 23 Posted September 23 I had a Night Train 15. Not the G2. I loved the amp. It came with Chinese tubes, I think. Either that or Sovtek. Either way it was nice and sparkly. It made an electric acoustic (piezo) sound really chimey. I changed tubes in it pretty often which is why I can't remember what it came with stock. I changed all the tubes (4 total) to JJ at one time which dramatically changed the tone. Sounded more Marshally with the JJ and the acoustic electric didn't sound quite so nice. I continued changing tubes and ended up with the Sovtek tubes and I think I replaced one preamp tube with a 12at7. But, that thing had crazy heavy iron in it. When I bought it I was also looking at an Orange head that was next to it at GC. I reached across the shelf at arms length and picked up the Orange like a paperweight. Looked at it and put it back. Then I reached for the NT and couldn't pick it up with my arm extended like that. I thought they may have attached it to the shelf. It was really heavy. The shortcomings for the original amp are exactly what the G2 may have addressed. The original didn't have a foot switch, FX loop, reverb, etc. The switch to remove the tone stack really increases gain. The original also had a switch for pentode / triode mode which changed the tone and reduced wattage to 7 or so. I would imagine that is part of the dark mode in the G2 and just labeled differently. I really liked the NT I had and thought the lunchbox form factor was cool. The G2 seems like everything I didn't like about the original is taken care of. 2 Quote
BoogieMKIIA Posted September 25 Author Posted September 25 Thanks for the “feedback”. I will take a look next week when I have the time. The Thick mode could be sort of like a Trainwreck style. 1 Quote
BoogieMKIIA Posted Monday at 09:14 PM Author Posted Monday at 09:14 PM I went to RS Guitarworks this morning and came back with the Night Train. The amp and cab are in great shape and sounded good in the shop. Will get loud. Both the head and cabinet seem heavy for their size, not a complaint. At home, found a sticker on the bottom where it had been in the shop, called them and while they don't remember what was done in 2019, the code indicated the basic bench fee - not much was done. Speaker is a Greenback with Vox on the sticker. Tubes are Chinese, might be original, I'll play them for awhile. I'll also try my 2x12 cab but digging how small the rig is with the Box 1x12. Looks like it would be a 1x10. 4 Quote
beezerboy Posted Tuesday at 03:03 AM Posted Tuesday at 03:03 AM yeah.... thats the one. I built my own box and had a Warehouse ET65 in it.... sweet 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.