Hamer Fan Club Message Center

proper setup instructions

Jason01

Question

4 answers to this question

Yea I guess some details would help. Small builder, booteeky strat style hardtail 7 string. I don't think the previous owner must have played it very much, it was pretty far out of whack. Its a bit better now but it would be nice if I had a roadmap to go by when doing a setup instead of trial and error. I know I've had guitars that I never could set up right (damn kahlers!).

And how about for a bass?

In my case, a G&L 3-bolt 4-string with two large humbuckers and 16 adjustable pole pieces. In addition to the typical adjustments of truss rod, saddle height, and string length, the three-bolt models have an adjustable neck angle. Then there are those 16 adjustable pole pieces.

Generally I will get new strings on it, straighten/loosen the neck depending on how it looks and feels, then making sure the bridge is firing on all cylinders. Stewmac has a lot of tools for this last part, little radius gauges and stuff, but if you are working on your own guitar I tend to think it's a little better to do it by feel and go on personal taste. As always that stuff is a great guide to start off with though. Finally, check and adjust intonation if need be and adjust your pickups. If you encounter problems that you can't work out with this stuff, then your neck, frets, or nut might need work.

JohnnyB when I was working on Fenders with the neck angle adjuster, I never really had to fool with that very much. I used to have a G&L and the bridge was awesome to set up...I'd sight the neck first, then after that's straight (or however you are comfortable with it) adjust the bridge to lower the action and get the radius going on. Polepieces and stuff with pickups just adjust to taste while plugged in.

I might not be the best dude to talk about all this stuff. My experience with this stuff is limited compared to lots of guys here, and there are lot of dudes out there who can tell you exact measurements of where stuff should be, but I've always just done it by feel and sound, which is how you play and enjoy a guitar anyway right? The more I type this the less I feel like I outta be

Archived