Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shipping a guitar from USA to UK

Has anyone got any experience shipping guitars from the USA to Europe (UK in my case). I’m eyeing up a Hamer Artist P90 on TGP which I want to get it shipped to the UK.

What’s the best, cheapest carrier to go with? (USPS / Fedex / UPS). Just looking for general advice. Never imported a guitar.

Has anyone got any experience shipping guitars from the USA to Europe (UK in my case). I’m eyeing up a Hamer Artist P90 on TGP which I want to get it shipped to the UK.

What’s the best, cheapest carrier to go with? (USPS / Fedex / UPS). Just looking for general advice. Never imported a guitar.

Hi... Try this LINK :P

Hi... Try this LINK :P

Thanks, handy little tool. Duty was more than I'd expected!

Also looking for personal experiences with import/export, thing that went right and wrong. What to do, what not to do, etc.

Thanks, handy little tool. Duty was more than I'd expected!

Also looking for personal experiences with import/export, thing that went right and wrong. What to do, what not to do, etc.

The duty's fuck all, it's the 20% VAT that's the killer. Some people will declare a lower sales price but remember if it takes a tumble the shipper will only pay to the declared value (if that) and it's no good saying that there's one on Ebay UK for twice what you declared, it's only your declared value.

I've brought about a dozen, perhaps more, from the lower 48 over the last 12 years, all the carriers are as good or as bad as each other. USPS tends to come through Parcel Farce, DHL use their own all the way as do UPS. A lot of smaller 'shippers' will tell you we go fom here to there but often as soon as it's off their truck at their local depot it end's up on Fed Ex who don't have the best reputation for shipping guitars so ask the seller to check the situation before they send it.

The only other thing, like so many things in life, is be prepared for "immaculate" to have a different meaning between buyer and seller !

The duty's fuck all, it's the 20% VAT that's the killer. Some people will declare a lower sales price but remember if it takes a tumble the shipper will only pay to the declared value (if that) and it's no good saying that there's one on Ebay UK for twice what you declared, it's only your declared value.

I've brought about a dozen, perhaps more, from the lower 48 over the last 12 years, all the carriers are as good or as bad as each other. USPS tends to come through Parcel Farce, DHL use their own all the way as do UPS. A lot of smaller 'shippers' will tell you we go fom here to there but often as soon as it's off their truck at their local depot it end's up on Fed Ex who don't have the best reputation for shipping guitars so ask the seller to check the situation before they send it.

The only other thing, like so many things in life, is be prepared for "immaculate" to have a different meaning between buyer and seller !

You're right on the VAT front, my bad there. That's where the real sting is. Thanks for the wise words regarding shipping. Been crunching the numbers and I'm not sure I'm going to go ahead on this one. Will mull it over some more...

The P90 GAS is overpowering! I might hold out for a Special in the UK (or elsewhere), which will cost me slightly less than a P90 loaded Artist.

USPS is less than the other shippers. I have had great results and no problems. To ship a phantom, large box, to Netherlands cost about $170.

I've always heard that USPS is the cheapest for shipping to Europe, but no personal experiences.

Duties and VAT are always going to be a major bummer, unless you'd be making the trip to the USA yourself, picking it up there, bringing it back and the people at airport customs don't feel like working :P (That's more or less how I got my Hamer here)

I've always heard that USPS is the cheapest for shipping to Europe, but no personal experiences.

Duties and VAT are always going to be a major bummer, unless you'd be making the trip to the USA yourself, picking it up there, bringing it back and the people at airport customs don't feel like working :P (That's more or less how I got my Hamer here)

One day a serious guitar buying pilgrimage is in order!

Archived