Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Graphtech nuts on USA Hamers?

Cboss

Question

Wondering if the experts could weigh in on experiences/results changing the nuts on Hamer USA guitars to Graphtech, from the original...I have done this to several of my other guitars with big improvements in tone and sustain...

Thanks for any thoughts and contributions.. 

6 answers to this question

Unless the nut is severely worn and causing buzzing and/or intonation problems, I'd stick with the OEM "Lubritrak" nut. It is at least equal to, if not superior to, a Graphtech or Tusq nut. Chances are, an Arlington Heights-built Hamer was set up by Curt Meissner. The dude was/is a setup master.

11 minutes ago, Cboss said:

Thanks, I suspected as much so I haven't touched either of them yet.. do you find you have to lubricate the slots ever? And if so what do you recommend? I just restrung my new tle and the high e and B were sticking

Graphite power (from a hobby shop, for example) works well.  On nuts that are molded in black, I've actually used ground up pencil "lead", as it's mostly graphite.  Just curious:  what gauge high E and B strings are you using?

1 hour ago, Cboss said:

9 and 11, and they were sticking..maybe widen a little?  

Nah, they were slotted for those gauges from the factory. Try some graphite first.

Archived