Hamer Fan Club Message Center

79 Sunburst bridge and neck joint questions - help please !

HamerHamburg

Question

I am currently negotiating the purchase of a 79 Sunburst. The seller says that it's all original except for the neck, which has been "lowered" (for lack of better translation...). The bridge does not seem original to me. Think it should be the higher block bridge without the routed channels for the saddles.

Could the experts chime in and have a look if there is anything suspicious ? Any signs that the neck has been reset or that something is not right ?

Here are some photos I got from the seller:

HamerSunburst%2001_zpsky6p9b5e.jpg

HamerSunburst%2004_zpsf67vffu8.jpg

HamerSunburst%2005_zpskxd5bged.jpg

HamerSunburst%2009_zpswxdock2q.jpg

Thanks !

Cheers, Todde

8 answers to this question

It looks like one of the bridges that was shimmed with the rosewood. Just guessing here, but perhaps that was removed, resulting in the need to "lower" the neck. ..

The Sustainblock bridges had much thicker bases to remove the need for the shim.

looking again at the pics with the pickups, it looks like the strings are VERY close to the pups. Like barely clearing them.

Bridge is not oem, there is runner slots for the bridge saddle height screws, saddles look close, but not oem as well.

Neck joint looks typical, I would remove neck pup to check for any neck reset.

Thanks Jay,

What do I look for if I get a look at the neck pickup cavity ? What are the signs of a neck reset ?

Could it have been reset on account of the lower non original bridge. I was of the opinion that 79s like my 78 have a shimmed bridge or a sustain block bridge, which has a much higher base plate.

Cheers, Todde

Jay,

Here's a shot of the neck pickup cavity. The current owners says the neck came loose at one time and was re-joined (as opposed to what he said earlier, that the neck was lowered). Does this look ok to you ?

Your help is appreciated, thanks !

Cheers, Todde

HamerSunburst%2010_zps7emtd87i.jpg

despite the pic's fuzzyness, if reset, it is a clean reset, but, I can see broken finish on the left, low E side of the fretboard / body join.

The tenon area looks clean, can see the (possible) original glue puddle low E side at end of tenon / body route.

Could be separation of neck break from the tenon/ body. (seen, repaired many of).

the bridge plate is not OEM due to the "tracks", I have seen them on the newer S/B's, talladegas.

Archived