Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tube vs. Solid State FX Loop?

JGale

Question

I have a chance to order a new amp and it comes with a choice of FX Loop drivers.

My question is, which version would you choose. Difficulty: lowest noise floor a requirement.

Tube is a 12_X7 9 pin optimized for the 12AY7 (mu=0.7)

Solid State is discrete (FETs) only. No OPAMPs.

Designer knows his/her shiite.

Thank you!

5 answers to this question

I suspect agree with you. I have zero reference though, never experienced one. I was curious if I was missing something since they seem to be a luxury thing not often specified.

I like turning here for gaps in my education. 

And boobies!

If the tube amp has a more classic circuit, I’d probably go for all tube. Otherwise, pedals mostly are transistor based or even digital. So, it doesn’t really make a difference. Go for FET then.

Mesa Boogie touts tube circuitry yet their noted graphic EQ has always been a bipolar transistor circuit.  They are only changing equalization, not wanting to color the sound any other way.

My Mark IIA has the Fetron option for the first preamp tube position. I recently sent it to Mesa for a check-up. Mike B. asked if I wanted to keep the Fetron option, he was able to keep it and the tube option intact, commenting the Fetron had high gain and some 12ax7s don’t always have as much. The V1 position is not overdriven but more gain drives the lead channel.  Specific to this amp but an example of ask the designer thing.

Archived