Hamer Fan Club Message Center

It's back: SDOD - Harbinger MLS900 Line Array - $299.99

Are these really as good as advertised? The reviews I read were from 5 years ago. Anyone have first hand experience with a current edition of this system?

My pair are a year, maybe a year-and-a-half old, so is that current enough? I know they make one step up now (MLS1000), with a 10" sub (these have an 8").

I guess it depends on how you plan to use them. Mine have seen relatively light duty, with me doing the set-up. They aren't subjected to apes beating on them, so I can't really speak to their road-worthiness, but the build quality - especially at this price point - is very good. I got these so I wouldn't have to grunt powered 15" EVs and subs, and yeah, they won't match THAT sound, but I'm no longer trying to take your head off. Plus, a pair of these (2 towers, 2 subs) weighs about as much as one of the old EVs. My back loves that.

For the money, they sound amazing. The bass is punchy and the mids/highs are clean and clear no matter where you stand in front of them, and with good volume. I have a 15" powered sub if I want extra kick drum thump, but it really isn't necessary.  Are they as good as the Bose, EV, etc line arrays? No, but those are what, like 5 times more expensive? If I were gigging regularly I might want something more robust, but these would definitely get used until they died first.

At $300, you should try one. You can always send it back. But I'm betting you'll buy a second one...

• Like 1

Thank you for the insight. I don't see any "real" controls (tone shaping) for vocals. What about integrating a non-powered mixer into one of these systems; the Owner's manual is a bit skimpy. This would be for solo or trio use in smaller venues.

Bass and treble, that's it. Pretty bare bones.

I use mine with an non-powered 16-channel board that has effects built-in. Run 2 XLRs out to the speakers, plug in 3 power cords, and you're set up. I've done 5 vocal mics, bass direct, and some kick drum (for a little fattening) and it handles it just fine. We're not playing MSG, though.

Haven't run any electric guitars through it, but my daughter went direct with my Ovation acoustic and it sounded pretty damn good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought two of these when hamerhead did.  They're very useful.  They're in the 4-3-2-1 Club now, and are used there for listening to songs that are being worked on.  I've also used them outside for a full bluegrass band, and they sound great for that, with all the instruments miked.  I'm glad I bought them.

• Like 3