Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What did I do wrong?

ArnieZ

Question

Waiting for the hurricane< I decided to swap out the pups in my Newport Pro before I lost power :D

I replaced the Phat cats with Seths and wired everything exactly as it was. Everything works but if I take my hand off the guitar it makes noise, goes away when I touch the strings. Poor ground? I assume. Also the tone control does not work the way I would expect it to. Very poor tracking and quite nasal sounding when rolled off. So start over or what do I look at first?

ArnieZ

3 answers to this question

Will Try to get pic, not happy about having to take this thing apart again! I Always seem to have trouble soldering to the back of the pots. Is it fair to assume that if the solder from the 2 grounds is touching that that is not a problem? I'm thinking that the whole back of the pot acts as one any way.

ArnieZ

Concerning the tone pot behavior, you might have to consider a cap replace. The PhatCats deliver higher frequencies at the top range than the PAF like Seths. Therefore, the replacement requires adjustment of the working frequency of the tone pot. The capacitor is responsible for the working frequency definition. I can't say whether you need a higher or lower cap value. You either try a couple of caps yourself or one steps in with a recommendation.

Archived