Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fasteddie

Who did most for Rock Guitar or who made you take it up.

Question

"Who did most for Rock Guitar or who made you take it up"

Who dids~

1st. Chuck Berry.He was the first to bring guitar upfront, more than just a prop.

Jimi Hendrix.He brought to the table nobody else did, could at the time. He set the bar, others loathed in fear.

Jimmy Page. He could play anything with strings on it, but when He strapped on a LP, game over. Used LP's sales on the rise(not known as vintage as of yet).

Plenty of others in that time period. Steve Marriott for an example as well as Leslie West, etc.

Ace Frehley. Simple yet effective. A lot of guitars were sold during the onslaught of, and easy to play off on.

Angus Young, Ac/Dc. Not much in sales, but, another in take up and play it.

Eddie Van Halen. Mr. Legos himself. He mainstreamed a cocktail of technique from past present future. Frank Marino was doing wiggle stick dive bombs tapping etc. years before.

Stevie Ray Vaghaun. The big Fender come back, Strats are back. Big sales.

Slash. HUGE sales for Gibson. Huge.

There are others. Plenty. But for dollars procured for manufacturers per note, these guys are , where tops.

Who made me take it up.

Ace. (Alive) the raw power of a Les Paul plugged into a cooking Marshal amp. That sound. The slanky ness. That did it.

Gene Simmons and Ace Frehley. Because when I was six I did not know what a bass guitar was. I thought all three - Gene, Ace & Paul - played electric guitar. 

And Keef and Ron Wood.

I agree with Kiz on Chuck Berry.

I was just a bit too young for the first wave of Beatles inspired players, but jumped in when I heard Leslie West, Richie Blackmore and Johnny Winter.  The California Jam was probably the event that pushed me hard to take up the guitar.  The moment Ritchie smashed the camera lens I was on board.  Then I saw Kiss on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and I was in deep.

I'll add one more under a new category: "Who saved Rock guitar from death at the hands of disco and keyboard pop?

Johnny F'n Ramone, that's who!

Chuck Berry.  Hell, he'd be the first to tell you.

14 minutes ago, Michael_B said:

Chuck Berry.  Hell, he'd be the first to tell you.

...and that's where you'd have to go to ask him.

4 hours ago, Armitage said:

Ace Frehley

Space Ace, nah bro. To say his name in the same sentence as giants like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen only THE most ardent KISS fan would consider that level and viable. 10 out of 10 for fan loyalty, but IMO that don't fly.

BTW you know where I can get Alive 2 on vinyl?

Ace Frehley made a lot of us want to play lead guitar.  Ace did not break new ground in rock guitar, though.  As soon as we found better guitar players we thanked Ace for drawing us in, and learned how to play the other players' licks. 

7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

BTW you know where I can get Alive 2 on vinyl?

2 LP remastered, repressed on 180g vinyl:

Used 1970s pressings:

One day when I was real young, I just decided I wanted to play guitar  I don't know why. My biggest influences were AC/DC and Judas Priest. 

1 hour ago, Thundersteel said:

One day when I was real young, I just decided I wanted to play guitar  I don't know why. My biggest influences were AC/DC and Judas Priest. 

There is an honest poetry to your post sir, in a world of subtle dishonesty your post is the stone obelisk of 2001, it is the Rocky Balboa of 1 and 11 (but not 111), your words are fine, but strong, a beer toast to you Squire of the Rock Empire,  AC/DC and Judas Priest...very fine indeed, Thundersteel. As my old Latin teacher used to say, Rockus Onus.

Link Wray