Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Setup Advice - Lighter Strings

BoogieMKIIA

Question

I’m going to try extra light gauge strings on my G&L ASAT Tribute.  Just change and tweak action, relief, intonation. If it plays well, any need to look at the nut? The strings may sit differently in the slots. I’m thinking don’t worry if all seems well. 

5 answers to this question

If it plays well, let it be.  I run 9s to 11s on my guitars and rarely have to futz with the nut.  Usually when I do, it was a pre-existing problem made worse by going to a lighter gauge.  I guess I've been lucky, but I've never had one start buzzing from going down a gauge if it wasn't buzzing at least a little already. 

Generally if you are going to have issues with the nut, it will be from moving to larger strings, not smaller. If it is intonated well and plays great, don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Generally if you are going to have issues with the nut, it will be from moving to larger strings, not smaller. If it is intonated well and plays great, don't worry about it.

Good point.  I reckon the bottom of a string can't get any lower than the bottom of the slot in the nut.  It can only get too wide to sit in the cut right.  Never really thought about it until you posted that.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:46 PM, LucSulla said:

Good point.  I reckon the bottom of a string can't get any lower than the bottom of the slot in the nut.  It can only get too wide to sit in the cut right.  Never really thought about it until you posted that.

If the nut was slotted correctly, definitely. Sometimes there can be problems if the bottom of the groove isn't correctly shaped, and while a larger string doesn't have issues, a slightly smaller string can get stuck.

Archived