Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Chaparral single coils

Shataan

Question

I have an early 86 Chaparral with what seem to me at least to be odd.  A top coil, with a dummy bottom coil.  Now I don`t think these are Slammers.  I had to send the neck pickup in the pics to Josh Gravelin the rewind/repair the top coil.  Should be being shipped back to me almost as we speak.  But it would be sweet if someone knows just what single coil stack this actually is.  Thx. 😜

669061811.jpg

669061825.jpg

5 answers to this question

Although the enigmatic Quilla Freeman seems to have earned credit from some sources as the inventor of the stacked humbucker, Kinman was really early in that game and I've seen some of his going back to the '80s.  Most of the units I've seen/owned have been Dimarzio or Duncan.

Was there any sort of sticker on the bottom?

It is most definitely a DiMarzio build: same white tape and same colors with the coil output leads. I'm 99% sure it's an OEM model. The HS-3 (DP117) is close, but not quite "it".

I'll get in touch with DiMarz tomorrow and see what I can find out. :)

Both the HS-2 (14.97k) and HS-3 (23.72k) are still available from DiMarzio. The OEM model with Shataans '86 Chap isn't either of those, falling somewhere in the middle. The build-out is the same as your photos: a different wind at play however.

Archived