Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"From The Beginning" Synth Effect on Tone Lab?

Hi there

i would suggest you to try on the ToneLab Forums site..maybe you can find more there, plus you could even have pre-sets to download (depending on your Tonelab -i have an LE-)

I thinks there is a couple of HCFers that could also give you more info here...

The synth sound is 2 tones and Keith played it on two keyboards in unison. The fundamental tone is a meaty square wave tone that has some graininess to it. The other sound is some kind of a sawtooth wave but tuned really high which is almost a chirping sort of sound, this has some hair on it too.

Both sounds are notable for their striking portamento. He is playing on two moogs that have the exact same portamento curve.

Most multi effect units are unable to perform any kind of portamento... that's for the GK stuff.

Although... my BOSS SE-70 does a killer portamento, I could absolutely nail the sound using a splitter and two SE-70s, but the splitter would screw with the voltage recognition a bit and the tracking might suffer as a result.

If you can assign EQ, dynamics and gain to the synth patches within the ToneLab, you are going to get a LOT closer than if you don't.

A regular unfiltered square waveform says "CASIO" all over it. Adding some mids, compression/limiting, EQ and gain could really turn a CASIO tone into a fairly convincing Moog tone.

The Moogs had small amounts of potential even order harmonic distortion in spades throughout their circuits, it's what made them sound so warm and fuzzy and is essentially what give analog synths their unique sound.

Just work on the meatiest and beefiest square wave tone that you can and nobody will look at you funny when you play it without the other sawtooth tone and portamento.

The synth sound is 2 tones and Keith played it on two keyboards in unison. The fundamental tone is a meaty square wave tone that has some graininess to it. The other sound is some kind of a sawtooth wave but tuned really high which is almost a chirping sort of sound, this has some hair on it too.

Both sounds are notable for their striking portamento. He is playing on two moogs that have the exact same portamento curve.

Most multi effect units are unable to perform any kind of portamento... that's for the GK stuff.

Although... my BOSS SE-70 does a killer portamento, I could absolutely nail the sound using a splitter and two SE-70s, but the splitter would screw with the voltage recognition a bit and the tracking might suffer as a result.

If you can assign EQ, dynamics and gain to the synth patches within the ToneLab, you are going to get a LOT closer than if you don't.

A regular unfiltered square waveform says "CASIO" all over it. Adding some mids, compression/limiting, EQ and gain could really turn a CASIO tone into a fairly convincing Moog tone.

The Moogs had small amounts of potential even order harmonic distortion in spades throughout their circuits, it's what made them sound so warm and fuzzy and is essentially what give analog synths their unique sound.

Just work on the meatiest and beefiest square wave tone that you can and nobody will look at you funny when you play it without the other sawtooth tone and portamento.

Wow! Thanks for the info! Once again, the All-Powerful and Omniscient HFC to the rescue! I've been wanting to give it a shot at our monthly jam session.

Archived