DavidE Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I was trying to help a friend sell his Reverend Hellhound stack. Black "tooled" tolex combo with matching cab and covers. I'm playing a gig with him tonight and I guess he needs the money and the price is low enough that I can't lose anything on it and my wife said to help him out.I'll play through it at our gig, but anyone with thoughts on these? This one is serial #36.
silentman Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 Is there anything that doesn't end up at your house?
Brooks Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 nice amps, i shoulda kept mine. i like my carr rambler more, but it costs like 4 times the hellhound.
Guest Buck Dharma Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 David you must have a very cool wife. I consider mine pretty cool, but she would never let me buy and sell the amount of toys you do. I'm jealous!
Buzzy Fretts Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I like it David. The only issue I have with mine (a known issue with these) is the ambiant noise floor when you turn up. Great amp otherwise. I love the blackface tone I get when using the Newport! The stack give you lots of clean headroom. I don't venture into the vox direction here.
DavidE Posted March 11, 2005 Author Posted March 11, 2005 Is there anything that doesn't end up at your house? Tell me about it...
DavidE Posted March 11, 2005 Author Posted March 11, 2005 David you must have a very cool wife. I consider mine pretty cool, but she would never let me buy and sell the amount of toys you do. I'm jealous! That I do. But it helps that it's a self-supporting habit in that the gigs pay for the gear (with some going into the family funds) and I get rid of enough unused gear to get other stuff.
Guest galejt Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I get rid of enough unused gear to get other stuff. +1 for this habit of his....
DavidE Posted March 11, 2005 Author Posted March 11, 2005 I like it David. The only issue I have with mine (a known issue with these) is the ambiant noise floor when you turn up. Great amp otherwise. I love the blackface tone I get when using the Newport! The stack give you lots of clean headroom. I don't venture into the vox direction here. Thanks for the info. Any reason you don't use the schitzo switch?We'll see if I like it or keep it. It's not something I wanted but it will help out a good friend.
Guest Buck Dharma Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 David you must have a very cool wife. I consider mine pretty cool, but she would never let me buy and sell the amount of toys you do. I'm jealous! That I do. But it helps that it's a self-supporting habit in that the gigs pay for the gear (with some going into the family funds) and I get rid of enough unused gear to get other stuff. I wish I was good enough to do that. I'm still in the learning phase but I love making loud noise. I can make some convincing SRV Riviera Paradise sounds with the Daytona and whammy bar. And I love playing Sabbath songs with my Fatdog LP copy. I figure when I'm 50 I'll be able to gig. Do you think I can gig in one of those Scooter things like my mom cruises around on when I learn enough songs?
madhatter Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I picked up a used one a couple of months ago and its all I've been playing since.The Schizo is either US or UK, and I leave it on US. The UK setting doesn't seem to like my dirt pedals that much while the US loves them all. Theres also the 40/60 watt switch on the back which I've kept at 60. As far as tubes, I did a bit of swapping but I like the stock EHX. The reverb is not very deep but I don't use much anyway.One thing though, you should see if the amp has been brought up to current specs as its a low serial number.
bobbymack Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I had a nice blonde one that I should have kept, just a great lightweight, flexible combo.I put a 12AT7 at Joe Naylor's suggestion into V1 or V2 (don't remember), and put a nice set of Philips power tubes in and it sounded great. Excellent Fenderish cleans, and some nice breakup earlier with the schizo switch to Brit...loud enough for most small to medium gigs too.For the money I think they are great amps. IIRC, HHB used to gig with one often also....
DavidE Posted March 11, 2005 Author Posted March 11, 2005 I picked up a used one a couple of months ago and its all I've been playing since.The Schizo is either US or UK, and I leave it on US. The UK setting doesn't seem to like my dirt pedals that much while the US loves them all. Theres also the 40/60 watt switch on the back which I've kept at 60. As far as tubes, I did a bit of swapping but I like the stock EHX. The reverb is not very deep but I don't use much anyway.One thing though, you should see if the amp has been brought up to current specs as its a low serial number. I did the first mod for him when it came out. I don't know what other mods there have been since. The tubes are original (not EHX) and have very low mileage. He always gigged with his VibroKing or his Mesa DC5.
Buzzy Fretts Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 No schitzo switch? No good reason. It hasn't suited what I've been thowing at it I guess. When I need something else I reach for the Rt 66. The combo of the two as pictured gives me the most well rounded tone for classic stuff.
hardheartedbill Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 I liked it, sold mine to Brooks who liked it, that early a serial may be worth hanging onto, I love dual 6L6 amps!
Guest teefus2 Posted March 11, 2005 Posted March 11, 2005 hmmmmmmm. i heard they tip over easy.........
bach Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 I bought one about two years ago and I have no regrets. In fact, I think Buzzy Frets convinced me. Great clean tones by itself and it works well with overdrive pedals (I prefer the Drivetrain II). Interestingly, I almost never switch to the Vox tone either. It sounds cool, but it's just not me. Overall, the best amp value I've owned IMO.
DavidE Posted March 12, 2005 Author Posted March 12, 2005 Gigged with it tonight. Mostly played acoustic through the p.a., but put my gold sparkle Paults-o-caster through my blue FM Fulldrive2 into the Reverend stack. Me likey very much. I liked both the US and UK settings!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.