Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2 Pickups on one volume control - possible?

hamerhead

Question

The catch: it's a 3 pickup guitar with a 3-way switch.

I want the neck pickup in the up position, and the middle and bridge pickups in the down position. The middle position can be all on, all off, or all playing the Hokey Pokey - I don't care, but after dinkin' with this for over an hour, I'm out of ideas, and it's pissin' me off. :angry:

:rolleyes:

8 answers to this question

Can you use a standard toggle (not the 3 pup type) and wire the bridge and middle to where the bridge normally goes. Keep the neck where it goes. All three will be on in the middle.

Sumthin' like this:

3Pup.jpg

I'll have to dig out the 3-pup toggle and relearnhow that one works to see if you can do it with that...

If you *have* to use the toggle from the 3-pup system, i think the pinout below is correct for the toggle:

i_1228.gif

You should be able to move the middle pup hot from where it was connected (pin 2?) to the same connection as the bridge hot (pin 4?). Move the neck and bridge from the volume pot to the connection on the toggle for that pup (i think bridge hot is 4 and neck hot is 6). The toggle connection that normally goes to the output (pin 5?) should go to the master vol instead.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I will have to draw something up which may take more time than i have at the moment...

"I want the neck pickup in the up position, and the middle and bridge pickups in the down position. The middle position can be all on, all off, or all"

I can do that.

There's actually 2 volume controls - 1 for the neck, 1 for the middle/bridge. Standard LP-type toggle. Bypassing the tone controls.

Tim,

Jay is *far* more qualified than i am on this.

Below is what i think would work for you given a standard toggle (not the toggle used in a Gibson 3-pup) and two volumes.

3Pup-2.jpg

Toggle down would be middle and bridge pups in parallel. Toggle in the middle would be all three pups in parallel. Toggle up would be neck pup alone. Neck is on its own volume and bridge/middle are on a shared volume.

Beyond that, i will defer to Jay, as, after all, this is what he does for a living. :)

Archived