Hamer Fan Club Message Center

iRig users?

mrjamiam

Question

An iRig Pro, used "only once", has showed up on Craigslist.  Nice price break compared to new if it's as described, but the seller doesn't know whether it's been registered.  Looking at the IK Multimedia site, it appears that they care about registration to allow firmware updates, working with AmpliTube, etc.  How big a deal is it really to be the registered owner of an iRig?

20 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

I bought one for use at G4 camp and thought it sucked, returned it to GC afterward. 

Just curious.  Was it the irig pro or just the basic irig?   The original irig was only $30 and not very good, but I've heard good things about the newer pro version.  I haven't tried one though.

For that price it should have been the pro version.  Or you were royally ripped off.

What did you not like about it.  I had an early irig,  the cheap one and it was noisy and low volume.  The Pro or HD is supposed to be much better, but I haven't tried one at all.  Would love to hear because I am considering buying some type of iPad interface.  I just got an iPad 5 at sam's for $358 with the 128 gb of storage.  

12 hours ago, mathman said:

For that price it should have been the pro version.  Or you were royally ripped off.

What did you not like about it.  I had an early irig,  the cheap one and it was noisy and low volume.  The Pro or HD is supposed to be much better, but I haven't tried one at all.  Would love to hear because I am considering buying some type of iPad interface.  I just got an iPad 5 at sam's for $358 with the 128 gb of storage.  

Buy it somewhere with a liberal return policy then.  I thought it sounded terrible, was quiet, was noisy, there was no redeeming quality IMO, and I only wanted it for in room noodling.  

3 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

Buy it somewhere with a liberal return policy then.  I thought it sounded terrible, was quiet, was noisy, there was no redeeming quality IMO, and I only wanted it for in room noodling.  

I had read awhile ago that any of the interfaces that plug into the earbud jack were noisy and not very good. I bought one of the Line 6 interfaces that plugged into the charging/data port awhile back and it worked fine. Not being able to charge while using it kind of sucks though.

Have the pro for years. Mostly use it in holiday occasions. Needs to have the gain adjusted with the built in side wheel. That done, it sounds great. I am running it into Garageband on iOS. Create a simple backing track and play on.

ETA: the pro connects digitally rather than analog into the headphone jack. @mathman, it should fit your needs well.

@gorch, do you find that you have to verify that you've registered your pro when connecting it to software, updating the firmware, or at other times? 

The seller hasn't gotten back to me on whether he was able to determine if it had been registered (the unit he's selling is one he bought for his son to use, so I presume he's checking with the kid), but I'm pretty interested in pursuing it if he's legit and the registration issue isn't a stopping point.  I also bought an iPad a couple of weeks ago, and this appears to be something fun to do with it.

@mrjamiam, to be honest, I have never had the idea there could be a firmware update available for a tool like this. My thought is that it is a simple A/D converter. I have never had a specific advantage of registering other than it often opens doors to support or for catching a free module or two.

12 hours ago, gorch said:

@mrjamiam, to be honest, I have never had the idea there could be a firmware update available for a tool like this. My thought is that it is a simple A/D converter. I have never had a specific advantage of registering other than it often opens doors to support or for catching a free module or two.

Ik recently had an firmware update to enable 96 hz recording.

13 hours ago, mathman said:

Ik recently had an firmware update to enable 96 hz recording.

Ok thanks. Need to check this.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:04 PM, mathman said:

There is a ikmultimedia rep on the kvr website I frequent.   I'll message him.

I guess he is on vacation...  Still no reply. 

If the software was registered and the guy downloaded amplitube ik will charge him $15 to transfer a software license.  You should be able to register the hardware, and register the free version of amplitube for ios or computer and use the hardware just by registering on the ik site.

I found this response by him by a previous user asking a similar question:

You would need the serial number that came with the product (usually on a card in the packaging) and typically the license transfer process detailed in the FAQ at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/1111 would need to have been followed for any software transfer.

However, if you are trying to register iRig PRO in Authorization Manager you will get an error because Authorization Manager is used for software products and you would register hardware products at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/registration

If you get an error there because the previous user already registered iRig PRO, then you will need to contact Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-sup ... -hardware/ for further assistance.

The rep responded today.

Hi, 

Support would be able to handle the transfer of he serial if it is registered already (there isn't a transfer license fee in that case). I honestly don't know about the free gear, let me check on that part.

Thanks!

Peter

On 05/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, mathman said:

The rep responded today.

Hi, 

Support would be able to handle the transfer of he serial if it is registered already (there isn't a transfer license fee in that case). I honestly don't know about the free gear, let me check on that part.

Thanks!

Peter

Much appreciated!

Although the craigslist seller isn't getting back to me.  I realize that I may be the flake here, asking if a cash-in-a-parking lot transaction comes with factory registration eligibility.  What will I want next, a warranty?  He may have found a less troublesome buyer.  But I'll try again.  If he has all the cables like he says he does, I could potentially spend the savings on software.

UPDATE:  We're supposed to meet tomorrow to transact.

AnotherUPDATE:  The world makes sense again.  Craigslist is the home of the flakes after all.   Now he can't find the cables he said he had.  I just ordered an iRig HD from Musicians Friend for$50.  Thanks for the help everyone.

It took its time. I had to collect the iRig from my son. Dig out the old box for the USB adapter. Register with IKM. Register the iRig with IKM. Finally, after hardly earned summer holidays, I managed to update the firmware. To my surprise the software updater did not even needed a windows installation. It ran out of the box and smoothly. All fine now. Thanks for the tips here. The whole procedure effectively took about 10 minutes. HFC rules!

Archived