MARKVECTOR82 Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 What was the standard humbucker that the SS models left the factory with Say around 1985. any sugestions on after market pups that would be condusive to various styles ie: Blues, Blues rock,Funk and even heavier stuff... Basicallyi need an all around pickup for that model. The Specials are easy cause they're so meaty but this SS is thin all around Sound and design.
Turdus Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 I believe it was called a Dimarzio "Slammer". I owned a few SS-1's, and never thought that pickup was a good match. No real definition, brittle, etc. I put a Rio BBQ in one, and that definately will fatten it up.
Jimbilly Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 Yeah, the stock pup in my SS1 sounds a bit thin, good for '80s processed metal though! I'll also vote for the Rio BBQ, I've got one in my SSII, it's very smooth and versatile, it just sounds good. I should get one for my SS1, I'd probably play it a lot more.
Nuclear Wessel Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 I have a couple of Chapps that had the stock Hamer Slammer bridge pickups in them when I bought them. One sounded thin. The other sounded nice and chunky. I think they varied in output and tone. I played a NOS Blitz with Slammers at a local shop in '94 and the bridge pickup on that one rivaled a Super Distortion in output.any sugestions on after market pups that would be condusiveto various styles ie: Blues, Blues rock,Funk and even heavier stuff... Basicallyi need an all around pickup for that model. If you don't have the budget for the boutique pickups, the Duncan Custom Custom will cover all those bases.
Scarabaeus Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 >> I think they varied in output and tone.That is correct. Slammers are in Scarabs also. I have measured them randomly throughout the years and they varied from 9K ohms to 14K ohms.
Disturber Posted March 23, 2005 Posted March 23, 2005 >> I think they varied in output and tone.That is correct. Slammers are in Scarabs also. I have measured them randomly throughout the years and they varied from 9K ohms to 14K ohms. The Slammer in my 1989 SSII measuresaround 14 K. It´s sounds great. A bit similarto the SD Custom Custom. I really dig it.The singlecoil in the same guitar is alsovery fat sounding.The SS1 I recently sold was an ´86 (I think can't remember now).The Slammers in that one sounded great too.Nice and warm. Did not measure the HB though so I can't tell how hot it was. Probably the same as in my SSII.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.