Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Source for hard maple dowels or dowel pins?

BadgerDave

Question

I'm working on a maple Strat neck that had previously been drilled for machine bolt inserts.  The holes are slightly smaller than 1/2" in diameter.  I'm finding allegedly "hardwood" dowel pins, but these are either birch or unidentified.

Any leads on finding hard maple rods or pins or a substitute that would be suitable for plugging and re-drilling this neck?

IMG_3215.JPG

4 answers to this question

You can get them at many woodworker suppliers. Probably get 1/2" and sand as needed. (Or use a lathe , if you have access to one). Likely NOT at the big box store. But you can get them at Amazon or woodworker.com or some place similar.....Probably cost more to shop that to buy, unless you include in an order at AMZN.

11 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Ask @slingblader to cut you some dowels from a block of maple. There's a tool for that and judging by his recent posts, I'm convinced he has one in his shop...

Or, buy the tool. Search for 'dowel cutter' in Google.

Well that's one tool that I don't have, unfortunately. I know that maple dowels are available, but you'll either need to order one or find a hardwood dealer that has them. Most big box stores usually carry poplar or oak. The oak would be fine for this purpose. 

Another option would be to get a plug cutter. These are bits that you can use in a drill that will cut a tapered plug. Then you could cut them out of whatever material you want. 

I found a seller on ebay who had 36" x 1/2" maple dowels.  The shipping costs more than the dowel, but I have a solution for under $15.00.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Archived