Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Help Removing superglue CA from guitar finish

Ua D

Question

It’s a Long story, and while usually an eff up like this would be my own doing, someone got a drop of superglue on one of my hamers.  Right on the back of the neck where my thumb contacts it near the 14 th fret.    It’s a 2003 so I assume a urethane finish.  Any good ways to remove this short of scraping and sanding without screwing up the original finish?

acetone maybe?   

thanks for any help.  

4 answers to this question

You could try and get some WD-40 under the glue: has worked for me in the past. It should then just pop off if the WD gets beneath the CA. Else you gonna have to do what I normally have to do which is sand it off with ever increasing grits so it polishes back up. Painstaking job for such a small area of damage. I hate superglue with a passion!

Nail Polish remover is dilute acetone, and should remove superglue. Definitely easier to work with than straight acetone, which often evaporates too fast to do any good.  You can try scraping off the excess with a razor blade CAREFULLY before using the solvents.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, tbonesullivan said:

Nail Polish remover is dilute acetone, and should remove superglue. Definitely easier to work with than straight acetone, which often evaporates too fast to do any good.  You can try scraping off the excess with a razor blade CAREFULLY before using the solvents.

Thanks for the info.  Will definitely start with the acetone(nail polish)   I’m pretty good at leveling with a razor blade.  Gonna give this a go tomorrow.  At worst I’ll work up through the high grits when done and polish out.   

Archived