Hamer Fan Club Message Center

compressor for sag/bloom?

SteveB

anybody know of a compressor (or other pedal) that can simulate the power supply sag and then note bloom from a cranked tube power amp? Obviously a compressor will do the compression part of the equation, but not sure about the "bloom" part.

I had an Ibanez Tuke King (BK Butler design and made I believe) that would do something like that. I was probably stupid to sell it. Under the right conditions it would squash the note then kinda open up letting the note sing more. Was fun to "play" with that.

I had an Ibanez Tuke King (BK Butler design and made I believe) that would do something like that. I was probably stupid to sell it. Under the right conditions it would squash the note then kinda open up letting the note sing more. Was fun to "play" with that.

I happen to have one of those ( TK-999US?), but I don't remember getting it to do that. I'll have to drag the thing out again and play around with it!

I also play w/ different tubes in anything I have with 'em. I also may have run another pedal in front of it but I'm not sure. I thought those pedals actually ran the tube w/ essentially very little voltage so that they would be less efficient and distort more easily. Thereby, giving you more of that tube goodness quicker. Someone smarter than me can chime in here if I'm off base on that.

Back in the late '60's I had a Lafayette that would do that, but I don't think it was supposed to.

If you have a compressor with input gain, attack, release and makup gain controls, you can emulate the sag/bloom by hitting it with a ton of level, slow-ish attack (let the initial attack of the note go by before the compessor clamps down), and a slow release and some extra output gain. Experiment with the compression ratio to get the degree of effect you want.

Archived