Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Special maple top question

ajoso

You are correct, sir. :D The early Specials had a thin veneer as compared to thicker 1/4" or so top on the later models. Even the later Special FMs have a thicker top.

It's hard to say how much difference the top causes. I would like to say, "The thicker maple top did XXX", but there were other differences that makes it hard to say. The change from the sustain block to a TOM would likely have a bigger change in tone, but i'm sure opinions vary...

Thanks, Gus! My eye for details must be getting better, cuz that was the only difference I saw in them. Oh yeah, and some Sunbursts have an archtop. I'm guessing no Special or Special FM did.

ON EDIT:

Never mind about the archtop question. It appears that Specials were made with them.

As for the binding, I guess the Sunbursts have body binding and Sunburst Customs have body and neck binding. See here:

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/sunburst.html

Under "Description From The 1990 Catalogue". Unfortunately the sentence is not completed:

"The Sunburst is also available in either Standard or Custom configuration. The Custom features a bound rosewood ".

If you want to see what a maple veneer looks like, go to a good lumber yard. Sometimes Lowe's or Home Depot will have veneers for sale. It will be in the section with the project wood like small pieces of oak and poplar. The veneer is thin wood that is about the thickness of poster board.

Archived