Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTF?!$! Problem With SoundCloud

Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame

Question

So I did some crap on Garage Band and thought I'd give everyone something to laugh at.

So I signed up for SoundCloud and uploaded from Garage Band...and when I tried to listen to it on SoundCloud, I couldn't find it.

Then I saw an email: they said that her automatic content identifier indicated the music violated someone else's copyright.

I did everything in Garage Band. I did use the smart drums, so I didn't "play" the drums as much as fiddled with the tool until I got something I liked.

But the bass was composed and played by me, and the guitar was me recording my own playing via iRig.

So I went and checked the work they said I had stolen from. It sounds almost nothing alike. If my song violated a copyright, then every song that has been on the radio since, say, 1923, had violated a previous song.

This really irritates me. Am I going to have to dispute a previous copyright every time I upload something?

6 answers to this question

It is really disappointing to encounter this the very first time I try to share...but at least it isn't just me. I guess that's a little comforting.

Archived