Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2 X 6.5 speaker cab

jaberwock

Question

I'm thinking about building a ported 2 x 6.5 inch guitar cab, using two Eminence drivers; to have a light,  easily portable cabinet would be really useful for me, I only use 15- 25 watt amps on stage these days so power handling wouldn't be an issue, but I'm wondering if it's going to sound nasal, and honky, there's a company called Ear Candy building something like it , claiming they have good low end thump, but precious few audio clips. 

Any ideas and opinions welcomed   Jaberwock

AMP CAB 1.jpg

12 answers to this question

I have a perfectly horrid little Vox Pathfinder 10 that I use as a workshop amp.  Parts Express had a factory overrun deal on some Eminence-built 6 1/2" drivers that were originally meant for an SKB powered pedalboard.  Unfortunately, they seem to be gone now, but they still offer the Eminence 6 1/2 20 watter that looks largely the same, but at a significantly higher price.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-patriot-620h-6-1-2-hemp-cone-guitar-speaker-20w-4-ohm--290-8000#! 

Anyway, after a little break-in, the Vox sounds considerably less horrid with that Eminence in there.  The nasal/honky is considerably less obnoxious and there's actually some bottom end in there.

CORRECTION:

Thar she blows!  For $12.80 apiece and down.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-6-1-2-guitar-speaker-20w-4-ohm--299-402

I wonder if they'd build one of those 2 x 6.5"s unloaded?  From what I can see, I've got the exact speakers fer cheep.  And the optional amp that they offer with these cabs is the exact same amp as what was in the SKB Footnote powered pedalboard, available (again, fer cheep) here:

http://www.parts-express.com/build-your-own-guitar-combo-amp-components-only--249-400

Thanks, I saw those 6.5inch speakers, at  $ 12:80 on parts express, I'm sorely tempted, but  noticed the weight was 2.1 pounds, as compared to 3.2 of the 6.5 inch patriot model, so I'm guessing a much smaller magnet, not so worried about a drop in sensitivity, but loosing bass response would be a concern.

Magnet looks to be thinner but a similar diameter.  I've not A/B'ed the two but can speak to the drastic improvement over the craptastic OEM speaker in the Vox.  My search for a response graph for the cheapo OEM came up blank. I did come across a DIY-er who put one in a .25 cu.ft. ported box and got a resonance around 110Hz which, depending on your style, might be a sweet spot.  My cabinet building chops are about on a par with my neurosurgery, so I can't verify that.

On February 26, 2016 at 11:48 PM, SSII x 2 said:

I can't speak to the configuration you're considering, but I do have a 1X10 Ear Candy cab that's really cool.

Ear Candy seems like a pretty cool company...

How is the bass response of your Ear Candy ? I see on their site they claim to have the low end thump of a much larger multi driver cabinet.

On 2/28/2016 at 4:11 AM, jaberwock said:

How is the bass response of your Ear Candy ? I see on their site they claim to have the low end thump of a much larger multi driver cabinet.

I'd say only fair to middling.  It's an open back cab and only a 10 incher.  But they do make

them closed back; maybe that's what they're referring to...

No I don't think so. David Barnes who did a great great job just sold his business recently and I am sure they will keep the same spirit and quality for their work.

As I was looking around for good 5w amps, I discovered this company (and finally choose Swart at that time) but discovered a unique spirit for this type of amp (octal based preamp and valco based models).

Being not a rep for them, I always try to give good feedback to people/organization who deserves it...but I know I am not the only one. Someone within the forum is a fan AND a owner/tester for this amp with a great feedback...

Sort of like the old Gallien Krueger 250ML amp. Small and loud. I still have a few of those old 250ML 6.5 speakers stuck to the steel I beam that runs thru my basement....ones with the decomposed foam surrounds that I replaced. I still remember the first time a guitarist showd up with one and plugged it into a pair of 4x12 cabs. I couldn't believe something that small could push those cabs so loud and sound great.

I actually currently have the big brother to that one, the 2100CEL, which is alot harder to find. It lets you vary the onboard effects more and uses a pair of 8 inch speakers.

My point is...GK also made a cool little 2x8 extension cab for these. Plugs into either the combo model or the head version and can run either mono or stereo. Loud little cabs and built like tanks in the metal enclosures with metal grills. Very small and lightweight. Great practice amps/cabs that can easily be used to gig with, even though the amp tones may lean more toward 80s tones.

Measured the speaker cab:  17 W x 9.75 W x 10.5 D, with two 1/4" rear inputs to run stereo or mono at 8 or 16 Ohm.  Model is call a 208LGS..

image.jpeg

Archived