Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Headstock Logo on a '85 Cruisebass

crunchee

Question

After seeing the latest post about early Cruisebasses from JohnnyB, I was curious about this size logo on the headstock of a '85 Hamer Cruisebass...it's not a 'Stadium' (big) logo like an '86, but it's not the smaller Hamer logo that was placed at an angle at the end of the Cruisebass headstock, either.  How long did Hamer use this size headstock logo, and did they use it on anything besides an early-model Cruisebass?  It kinda looks roughly the same size as the logos used on mid-'90's Hamer guitars (Specials, Artists, Eclipses, Etc.). TIA!

zCcANKu.jpg

6 answers to this question

Labor Day Weekend Bump.

Also, I saw a For Sale ad somewhere online recently, for an '87 Hamer Bass (I think it was a Chaparral Bass. but it might have been a Cruisebass), where the body was still mahogany, but the three-piece glued-in neck was maple, instead of mahogany like the above '85 Cruisebass.  Anybody know exactly when this happened, and did this occur all across Hamer's bass line in the late '80's?

Found an old post on 1st Gen Cruisebasses, where Andrew says that necks went from three-piece mahogany to three-piece maple in '85, though there was apparently some overlapping on the timeframe:

Still looking for an answer about the 'medium' sized logo pictured above...it doesn't seem that Hamer used it for very long, at least not on 1st Gen Cruisebasses.  Anybody know?  Bueller?

I asked in the other thread but didn't get any answer so I'll ask one more time here.i have an '86 cruisebass. I've seen some with "cruisebass" on the trust rod cover and some are just blank. Mine is just blank. Was there any rhyme or reason as to why some have "cruisebass" and others didn't?

BTW, my '86 is black with the large stadium logo.

They probably ran out of "Cruisebass" engraved TRCs in the mid-1980s.  They also changed the shape during that period too.  I'm sure it was for "the look".

The pantograph we used for engraving the trc's was very temperamental and time consuming. So we stopped doing that.

The logos were used based on availability from supplier.

The necks were changed to maple to address stability and adjustment issues.

Greg Farris (neck department, woodshop) coined the name. The U.S. was using a lot of Cruise Missiles then.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, S1980 said:

The pantograph we used for engraving the trc's was very temperamental and time consuming. So we stopped doing that.

The logos were used based on availability from supplier.

The necks were changed to maple to address stability and adjustment issues.

Greg Farris (neck department, woodshop) coined the name. The U.S. was using a lot of Cruise Missiles then.

Probably why Gibson stopped engraving them in the mid-70's too and started stamping the Les Paul TRC's...  Interesting stuff!!

Archived