Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
BubbaVO

Finger picking books

Question

Anyone have any recommendations on books/videos to learn finger picking techniques?

6 answers to this question

"Michael Hedges: Rhythm Sonority Silence" by John Stropes, if you want you mind blown and the instrument completely redefined for you! Hedges didn't think - or play - like the rest of us mere mortals, but the book has amazing instruction on his techniques and perfect transcriptions of many of his best songs. (Stropes had to actually create some new notation/tab to make it possible to get every nuance!)

Not for the faint of heart, and not a book that'll teach you bluegrass patterns, but it is a masterpiece, and must-have for any Michael Hedges fan.

• Like 2

I have a shitfukton of them.

PM me your interests and address.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 4:12 PM, joshoowah said:

"Michael Hedges: Rhythm Sonority Silence" by John Stropes, if you want you mind blown and the instrument completely redefined for you! Hedges didn't think - or play - like the rest of us mere mortals, but the book has amazing instruction on his techniques and perfect transcriptions of many of his best songs. (Stropes had to actually create some new notation/tab to make it possible to get every nuance!)

Not for the faint of heart, and not a book that'll teach you bluegrass patterns, but it is a masterpiece, and must-have for any Michael Hedges fan.

Yes that one is highly recommended! Micheal di some ground breaking music. Stropes did another one also..............This one. pRDXJzo.jpg Great book but hard to find and expensive when you do.................as it has unfortunately never been reprinted.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, joshoowah said:

+1 on this book.  Hedges was a unique guy.  My buddy has long said his favorite quote was something like, "Well, there are three ways you can look at the music you play.  You can look at the note you're going to play, or you can look at the note as you're playing it, or you can look at the note you just played."  I had the pleasure to meet him twice - really sweet guy.

The Stropes book is amazing.  Stropes got Hedges to play in front of cameras and filmed his hands individually, and a wider angle to see everything he was doing.  Man, I'd love to see those tapes come out some day.  Stropes also has transcriptions for four or five other Hedges tunes, but they don't have the background info that this book has.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 6:22 AM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Yes that one is highly recommended! Micheal di some ground breaking music. Stropes did another one also..............This one. pRDXJzo.jpg Great book but hard to find and expensive when you do.................as it has unfortunately never been reprinted.

Now I need to find that book, too! Looks amazing!

22 hours ago, alantig said:

+1 on this book.  Hedges was a unique guy.  My buddy has long said his favorite quote was something like, "Well, there are three ways you can look at the music you play.  You can look at the note you're going to play, or you can look at the note as you're playing it, or you can look at the note you just played."  I had the pleasure to meet him twice - really sweet guy.

The Stropes book is amazing.  Stropes got Hedges to play in front of cameras and filmed his hands individually, and a wider angle to see everything he was doing.  Man, I'd love to see those tapes come out some day.  Stropes also has transcriptions for four or five other Hedges tunes, but they don't have the background info that this book has.

I'd kill to see those tapes! I'd also kill to get a recording of the Michael Hedges show that changed my life at McCarter Theatre in Princeton back around 1991 or 92! He came out playing an amazing guitar part and then wandered up to the mic and started singing Madonna's "Lucky Star!" Finished the song, and then cocked his head to one side and said something like, "I have no idea why I played that... hm..." I was in awe the whole night.

As for the other Stropes-Hedges transcriptions, I have them, if you need to complete your library! I'll have to scan them, but would be happy to for a fellow Hedgehead!

Edited by joshoowah

50 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Now I need to find that book, too! Looks amazing!

I'd kill to see those tapes! I'd also kill to get a recording of the Michael Hedges show that changed my life at McCarter Theatre in Princeton back around 1991 or 92! He came out playing an amazing guitar part and then wandered up to the mic and started singing Madonna's "Lucky Star!" Finished the song, and then cocked his head to one side and said something like, "I have no idea why I played that... hm..." I was in awe the whole night.

As for the other Stropes-Hedges transcriptions, I have them, if you need to complete your library! I'll have to scan them, but would be happy to for a fellow Hedgehead!

I appreciate that, but I have them - couldn't pass them up.

I'll have to dig through my boots.  I don't know if I have the Princeton show, but I know I have at least one with Lucky Star on it.

• Thanks 1