Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Humidifier needed?

scottcald

Question

Hey all.  Pulled down a few guitars from the walls today and for the first time ever in my life, (I guess because of the winter which didn't seem too bad but dry), some of my guitars developed fret sprout.   I've never had a humidifier in the room before, should I get one now, or since this has happened, am I beyond worrying about it once the frets are fixed up?  Also, if I get a humidifier, will the wood expand back?  And lastly, which ones do you guys use that you like for this?

Thanks! 

4 answers to this question

First thing to do is get a good hygrometer (humidity gauge) so you know where you're at. Then get a humidifier (a bigger one than the space needs), or a whole-house unit that attaches to your furnace. A constant 45%-55% has worked for me. It may take a while to settle in, but the sooner you can do it the better ALL of the wood in your house will be.

ETA: Also, a good dehumidifier would be smart for the summer months.

12 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

First thing to do is get a good hygrometer (humidity gauge) so you know where you're at. Then get a humidifier (a bigger one than the space needs), or a whole-house unit that attaches to your furnace. A constant 45%-55% has worked for me. It may take a while to settle in, but the sooner you can do it the better ALL of the wood in your house will be.

Just a note about whole house humidifiers - I have one and in the winter it never makes it to 45-55%.  I'm in VA where the winters are not THAT bad, so maybe my unit is too small for the house.  Make sure you get one that will work for the size house you have.  Today the outdoor humidity is 85%, my humidifier is set to 60%, and my inside humidity is 40%.

Archived