Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wiring diagram 83/84 hamerPrototype

Ebe

Question

Took my 1983 prototype  hamer to have some work done on the bridge. Got it out of the shop and put it back in the storage, that was a year ago. Yesterday I take it out to play and I find that the controls have changed. The guy at the shop for some reason got into the electronics. My three position  microswitch don’t work at all one of my volume/tone knob is just vol only. Does anyone know if there any Hamer wiring diagram available  

65191087-00B7-4979-B7A2-37180458419E.jpeg

9 answers to this question

Considering you have an extra knob, i'd say your wiring isn't going to be stock. Hum, all cream pickups in an 83 seems a little rare, but then again so are black sustainblocks. LOVE the blue! Your main three way should be wired Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck. The little toggle should choose between the bridge Hum and Bridge Single. 

Is that an added tone knob? So do yo have VVT?

First knob is the volume knob still works. Second knob was volume/tone. Vol. for humbucker, but depending on the microswitch position then it became Subtle  frequency change, like a Wawa pedal.  Third knob was a tone does Nothing now. Some odd things about it. The headstock has a checkerboard Square it says special like the Hamer special. Finishes very, very brittle cracks and breaks off very easy that’s why I keep it put away

I did. But I can’t find nobody who understands how it should be wired, and I don’t want to pay somebody hours to sit there and tinker with it.

It sounds like somebody already tinkered with it, so it may be a matter of deciding what you want it to do and going that route.  Mine is stock and only has two knobs, a threeway switch and a microswitch.  Volume and tone.  The three way is either bridge, combined and neck.  The microswitch changes from humbucker to single in the triple bucker set.

16 hours ago, Ebe said:

913150D8-0F4F-4D63-8791-BE31EE07E35F.jpeg

PidDyKll.jpg

Its a cool looking guitar, even with the mods. The Headstock decal even says "Special". My red one has a uncommon layout, but the controls are where they should be. I would think someone added a knob where the second switch was, then moved the switched. 

I can take a shot of my controls but your tone/wah control is uncommon. 

No mods. I was at the store when the owner took it out of the box. The owner call hamer and talk to someone  about it, and told me to take care of it that there was only 2 made. He asked if I could leave it in the store for two weeks for display.  The tech I took it to had sand or file the brass bridge down about 1/ 8 in, Action Way too high. I left it with him for about a month and picked it up put it in storage. Pick it the other day And found it didn’t work. As you see all pots say Hamer

D0FBD022-E664-4A00-A469-54AC58903D28.jpeg

On 5/26/2020 at 1:39 PM, Ebe said:

Pick it the other day And found it didn’t work.

Sounds like you have some history of the guitar! Tho it doesn’t appear to be the nice Hamer wiring we’re used to.... But here’s a Long Shot... Try cleaning the pot’s and switch with Deoxit. If no ones messed with it and it’s been in storage a long time you might luck out! 

Archived