Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dimarzio Pickups with NO Adjustable Poles??

cynic

Question

Any familiar with a Dimarzio model with no adjustable poles?  These are being represented as Dimarzio but I can't recall seeing them before.

Secondary question, does anyone have a guess what year Dimarzio started offering double blacks?

nwfw1ckj98ct4w2nc9or.jpg

image.png

image.png

5 answers to this question

Late 70s, 49.2mm spacing, usually around 8.7k +/-  with A5 mag. I've had a few of these on my bench, all from Hondo guitars. Oh hey, I just found this:

https://samick.fandom.com/wiki/DiMarzio_K-10

On 5/17/2021 at 6:41 PM, JGravelin said:

Late 70s, 49.2mm spacing, usually around 8.7k +/-  with A5 mag. I've had a few of these on my bench, all from Hondo guitars. Oh hey, I just found this:

https://samick.fandom.com/wiki/DiMarzio_K-10

Thanks for sharing that link Josh. I've had a pair of these in the drawer some years back. Had plans to use them to rebuild a doulbe creme dimarzio paf to a zebra Dimarzio. But I never got that far. I must have sold them, cause I don't have them anymore. I thought they were Super II's with a ceramic mag. But I never installed them, so I don't know. And I can not remember what they meazured on the Ohm meter.

Sweet, I've had a pair of these in the parts drawer for a loong time. I had installed one in my old butched-up, mij strat, but it is pretty microphonic so I replaced it with a SD somethingorother many years ago.....

Thanks for the link, I'd never seen others like them.

The ones I've had must have been neck pickups, at the bottom end of the listed spec. Beyond spilled booze drinks, human sweat, humidity, and other factors that lead to pickup failure; the flux core of solder back then ...over time, it's corrosive and will cause internal shorts that will ruin pickups. If the bad zone is on "finish" end of the coil, depending on where exactly sometimes I've been able to fix it with a new internal output wire and fresh solder. If the corrosion is at the beginning of the coil, with the way DiMarz and others had done it back in those ye olden times, there's no way out. Sad+++

I use modern NASA-approved Eutectic solder: non-corrosive flux, hyper-resistant to heat fluctuations, and will be stable and functioning properly long after we're all dead and gone. Modern tech isn't always like this despite the claims of "New = Better!!!". In this, with this stuff right here tho -- ya, bud!

Count me as a fan of double slugs and the extra inductance to drive an amp a bit harder for maximum sparkle and rawk.

Archived