Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Does anyone recognize these bridge saddles? G&L Legacy Special

tbonesullivan

Question

Somehow, even though I have owned this guitar since the end of 2015, and never noticed that the saddles on it are not the usual G&L shape. They are, in a word, brick shaped. They seem to be designed for maximum mass. There is barely any bevel at all around the top, which of course makes the corners kinda pointy. Also they are so beefy that the action is still a bit high with some saddles nearly bottomed out. The G&L saddles are not as tall, so I have a set of those on order.

But of course, I'm wondering what exactly is on my guitar.

IMG_2952.jpg

5 answers to this question

I can't see them all that well but if they look like these, generic stainless saddles.

Or possibly Fender moderns. They look like good saddles!

Screenshot_20210610-144943_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Do G&Ls have a neck tilt adjustment? Maybe it's not tilted back enough. More tilt would lower the action and allow your current saddles to be raised to where they aren't bottoming out.

On 6/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, stobro said:

Do G&Ls have a neck tilt adjustment? Maybe it's not tilted back enough. More tilt would lower the action and allow your current saddles to be raised to where they aren't bottoming out.

They do not have one, unfortunately. Also, more than anything, the utter lack of a bevel keeps digging into my hand whenever I'm doing any type of muting, so they are most likely coming off, and some plated brass saddles going on. I was ready to take off the low E Saddle and start filing away to get it more comfortable, but figured I might be better off just replacing them, and sending the saddles off to someone who wants them. I'm hoping there are some type of markings on the bottom that identify them.

Now if only they still had the matte stainless steel saddles they used to offer as an option on G&L tremolos.

Thread from the dead! Yeah things have been slow.  So it turns out that the very angular saddles are actually the original ones, only used for a short period around 2012. They started using them right around the time of the DFS tremolo.  Then they reworked the previous type of saddles.

So I'm on the fence. The block saddles have a very well defined string groove, while the regular saddles do not. But I think hand comfort is going to win on this one. Maybe I can find someone on the G&L forum who loves the blocks and send them on their way.

Archived