Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Newport 12 in Southern California for $1800 USD

Unfortunately I am going to have to take this in for a setup. When comparing it to my Phantom 12 string, which I also had setup, the Phantom is so much easier to play. Hate having to do that because of the wait. But I have not been able to do a good setup myself, so I guess it will be going to the shop.

9 hours ago, rickrock999 said:

Unfortunately I am going to have to take this in for a setup. When comparing it to my Phantom 12 string, which I also had setup, the Phantom is so much easier to play. Hate having to do that because of the wait. But I have not been able to do a good setup myself, so I guess it will be going to the shop.

What is bothering you?   Is the action too high?

2 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

What is bothering you?   Is the action too high?

Yes, especially at the nut. I have to press down pretty hard to do just regular chords. The guy I bought the guitar from had a new nut put on it. I don't know if it was set up after that, probably not as he wasn't playing it. After playing the Newport the Phantom seems so much easier. I had that one set up when I bought it as well. I have tried working on some of my guitars in the past with mixed success. I don't want to really risk messing this one up. It's possible the Newport was never set up as it was hardly ever played even from new. Also despite trying many times I have never quite figured out the Truss rod. The neck always looks straight to me.

1 hour ago, rickrock999 said:

Also despite trying many times I have never quite figured out the Truss rod. The neck always looks straight to me.

You should try sighting along the neck from just to the side of the bottom strap pin:  the foreshortening will allow you to quickly assess whether the neck has the proper curve of relief.  It should not be ramrod straight.

By pressing a string at first fret and 19th fret, you get a straight line. If the middle of that string at the 9th fret touches, loosen the rod a tad as a bit of relief will help.
Rough action at the first fret means the groves in the new nut should be deepened.
I hope your tech brings it to its full potential.

I was faced with a similar but opposite situation with my Special 12. Some of the nut slots were cut too low. Being the lazy cheapskate that I am, instead of hiring a pro to repair or replace the nut, or attempting to fill the nut slots myself, I carefully removed the nut and shimmed the back side of it.

In this case, if all of the strings are too high at the first fret, removing the nut and shaving off a little material from the back side may make more sense.

Archived