Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommended Posts

Posted

"Only a Gibson is Good Enough" (???)

Here is an interesting video that popped up here this Monday morning. It is an interesting take (to me, at least) on how this has evolved. And a sort of take on how such as Epiphone has moved up and down the quality and price scale over time. And  the decisions Gibson has made.

I have been known to be more than a little "guitar snobbish" and probably always will be. Too many stories......😉

Not really thinking in terms of "Chibson" or "Chender". But the talent transfer has had an impact. 

Case in point (non-Gibson design). I have always admired the Languedoc guitars. I do not even know the cost of ordering one. Into 5 figures I reckon. Used ones? Just try to find one.

Anyway, something popped up with a Chinese made version. I looked at a few videos and said, WTH. Worst case, it is a POS and I dump it. OR, it is okay but the pickups and parts need replacing......Placed an order for a Firefly Pegasus. It arrived and I was impressed right outta the box. Yeah, the pickups COULD be better, but to me they sound very good, either in HB or split mode. Played great, except.....The second day, I was a bit more critical and realized it did not play cleanly at 3 frets on ONE string. Rather than mess with it myself, I brought it to my local guy who did some minor work on the ONE fret that was high and reset the bridge. So, add $26.93. Keeping my total cost for a very decent instrument to well UNDER $300. (No case, of course).

Decided to take a second swing. Same seller/make was (is) offering a "single cut" that will make you do a double take on an Ace Frehley mood. No need for a tech touch. Except....For me, the pickups are too hot. For my taste. BUT, if I was more the "hard rock" guy.......And I can always compensate a bit with amp settings, EQ, etc. So, even less invested than the Pegasus.

Note again, these are not exactly "Chibsons" in the sense that the design, headstock, inlays are NOT pure replicas intending to be passed off as a Gibson (or PRS or whatever). But for something that could be taken to a gig and fit right in, not bad at all. The few that have seen/heard them so far have been impressed.

Hmmm.....Maybe a "PRS" take with dragon inlays(?) next.....

pegasus.webpace f.jpg

Anyway, should anyone be in that mood, worth checking out. Look up Guitars Garden (California) on line. No need to order from some seller in China and hope for the best. 

Neither will replace my favorites....Breaking out the Shishkov for rehearsals lately....But color me impressed.

 

  • Like 4
Posted

The Fireflys get good reviews all over. No, they'll never be a Hamer or Shishkov. But that's not their thing. My BillyBo was a couple hundred bucks and is a fun guitar to bash around without worrying about dings or dents. And it plays and sounds really good for what it is.

I had one of their Teles to be used for experiments, but my great-nephew got that for a graduation present. But it was again really well done and he loves it.

I'm waiting for their RDs and Baritones to come back because, you know.....I really need another couple of cheap guitars lying around.

BILLYBOGREEN.jpg

IMG_6326s.jpg

The guy I got the Tele from removed the logo. Apparently it didn't have 'The Look'.

  • Like 4
Posted (edited)

Here's one

20260803_092410.jpg

20260803_092603.jpg

IYV hollowbody. I don't know why HFC rotates my photos..?

 

Edited by Brooks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Posted

yes, there are some very playable guitars for low cost, I had a Harley Benton HSS that I thought was quite good, I think I paid $110 and sold it for $200. I had a good experience with Eart headless (great neck, primitive body, decent pickups but with kind of low output), sold it to a local gigging jazz guy who bought it for a travel guitar.   I have a fan fret multi scale IYV 5 string bass that is really good, I think it was $300 ish.  I'd love to try that other 5 string multi scale on Amazon (below), but I have plenty of basses at the moment and I'm mostly playing guitar right now. - If I was bass shopping, I'd certainly give this one a try. 

  https://www.amazon.com/Gosila-String-Headless-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0CZZX9YB9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CVHWWYAHRAQB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Q5VXXGMmTULSs-ID9VClEHkeoE0woZiqnUs3J2r_fodYtaPSp0WLS_nkMdLeEErSWwGkV02-HtohYteZcgT06f6bsyVtZGw-UfOn4iiWFY6ETUvkhBi2dymFuvmqgvcdpoMtPUJKT6Qb6nCNcO6nU_P1rE9iLtJ04X0RnMJQqhLp9kBfO-Sn5mNDnbVMUjqElVYTsqfjaCaLSolZJhuvLZBnypQMlQQ1IB2PSlJ34g6nbyumVHWUZcx2geu4wg-0aBCnXqjCZoPkOOM2l6Q1X_jvWPcni2ogBAJ9yHrTZ3U.vloRqNdUxprt8CBbHXTJEfLraB3VO4PA_FonJOwg0EY&dib_tag=se&keywords=headless%2Bbass%2Bguitar&qid=1789574975&sprefix=headless%2Bbass%2Caps%2C358&sr=8-4&th=1

Posted

^^^

71KHQd1Db+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The 5-stringer is only $20 more than the 4-stringer. That's 25% more bass for only 6.08% more money. That's a deal.

  • Haha 3
Posted

I'm going to guess that the Gosila pictured above has the same electronics as the IYV. I really like that the IYV has a pull-switch on the volume knob that bypasses the preamp, and you don't even need a battery in it to play. I do most of my 'tone shaping' ("groan..." )  in an outboard preamp anyway (bass fly rig), and it is nice to not worry about how fresh your battery is. Most of my active basses have 'always on' preamps and it would be nice to have the passive option.

  The only bad thing about the IYV is that there is a slight audible "whoosh" in the volume knob when the preamp is engaged, I replaced the volume knob/switch and it's still there, so it's got to be somewhere in the preamp, - but not an issue at all if you use it passive.  It seems I have s snip of the ad from when I bought the IYV, - they did used to be even cheaper.

iyv amazon ad.JPG

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...