Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had the cd years ago that had the lenticular case and if you put the inside picture in it, the guy is sucking himself while everyone else watches.  Weird shit just like the nude guy and nude fat lady on undertow. 
Really good album though. 
The lyrics to Aenema is some great writing. 

  • Haha 1
Posted
10 hours ago, Submariner85 said:

I had the cd years ago that had the lenticular case and if you put the inside picture in it, the guy is sucking himself while everyone else watches.  Weird shit just like the nude guy and nude fat lady on undertow. 
Really good album though. 
The lyrics to Aenema is some great writing. 

I remember that. I used to travel a little for a company. Two to a van installing fixtures in stores. We'd bring CDs to listen to for the ride. The guy I was generally with was extremely homophobic. So I'd flip it to one of those photos and put it back in the stack so he'd be sure to see it next time he wanted to listen to it. He'd get really mad. Good times. By the way, the four guys sitting naked on the couch watching was Maynard, Adam, Justin, and Danny. And if you tilted the jewel case they got up out of the couch. Not sure where they were heading. Maynard writes the lyrics. He has a complicated brain.

Posted

One of the top ten shows I ever saw was Tool on the Ænema tour. 97?

Mid-Hudson Civic center with the Melvins opening (easily top five worst live bands ime lol).

Dramatic without being theatrical, precision without sterility, muscular while totally musical. 

I would love to relive that show.

  • Like 1
Posted
2 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

One of the top ten shows I ever saw was Tool on the Ænema tour. 97?

Mid-Hudson Civic center with the Melvins opening (easily top five worst live bands ime lol).

Dramatic without being theatrical, precision without sterility, muscular while totally musical. 

I would love to relive that show.

I saw Tool with Melvins October 11, 2001. One month after 9/11 and I was unemployed after the attack. Lateralus tour. Great show. Melvins covered, Alice Cooper, "Ballad of Dwight Fry," which mashed into, "Halo of Flies." That was the highlight of their set and received a standing applause that was akin to a winning field goal in a Super Bowl. I was surprised as I didn't think too many people in the audience would know those two toons. 

Posted

I saw Tool several years ago, maybe 2019? Almost the last row upper balcony, and the sound was perfect, which I couldn't believe! Good band to see from nosebleed seats, as there's not much to watch on their dark stage, but the animations that Adam comes up with fit the music perfectly. Great band, especially the Ænema album.

  • Like 2
Posted

Saw them twice in the same week back in 2001, including a show in Birmingham that took place in the midst of a tornado warning. Good times. 

They kind of lost me after Lateralus, but those first three albums and the Opiate EP were formational. When I was in college, my band rehearsed at this storage unit facility that must have had 10 other bands out there at night. I remember the week after Lateralus came out, all the bands who were doing nu-metal and post-grunge - Papa Roach, Staind, Nonpoint, all that kind of stuff - were out there trying to get their compound time signature on. 

We had already steeped quite a bit in Tool, but even before we got into them, in the interregnum between Aenima and Lateralus, we were pretty heavily into Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Helmet, Meshuggah, a smattering of pretentious fusion shit like Return to Forever and Mahavishnu Orchestra, and (unavoidably) southern rock. We never could quite figure out if we wanted people to shake their ass, head bang, or whip out a calculator, so we arrived at porque no todos! 

Anyway, we'd been leaning into prog rock for awhile and were cracking up at listening to three different bands all trying to figure out how to play Lateralus on the same night after listening to them play nothing but Blink 182 and Nickelback for the past year. 

Wish I could have bottled some of those days up and taste them again on occasion. 

  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...