Keoghpjk Posted December 22, 2015 Posted December 22, 2015 To pay that much for a pedal is ridiculous in my opinion, you can buy a used Axe Fx for that kind of coin. If you play for a living and it's a business expense, ok, but don't tell me your neighbor who came to your open mic night blues jam could hear the difference.I agree wholeheartedly.I also have a feeling that if Mr. Perry, Mr. Haynes or any other big name user switched their Klons for some sort of clone at their next show, no one in their audience would notice.
Never2Late Posted December 22, 2015 Posted December 22, 2015 Funny how Dumble got mentioned, IIRC, apparently both Dumble amps and Klon pedals have 'gooped' circuits. Coincidence? Secret sauce? The pedals, like the amps, are hand-made from scratch using some VERY select components. They are not a re-packaged DoD device, although some people do that with some market success. The circuit, like any-other, is intellectual property - the 'goop' is a low-tech attempt to protect that 'property' from people who want to reverse-engineer the devices and make copies.
Never2Late Posted December 22, 2015 Posted December 22, 2015 I keep seeing these Klon threads pop-up now and then, mostly filled with posts by people who are jealous that they don't have one to SELL. Okay - you trudge-off to your basement and solder-together something that no one has ever heard before, and sell it in limited quantities then.....I don't begrudge people who are chasing a tone I can't really 'hear' or appreciate, but are willing to spend big-dollars for. Some people here pay big dollars for custom Huber guitars, and claim they can 'hear' the difference over a custom Hamer - yea, whatever....Joe Perry and Warren Haynes have Klons on their board, and swear by them - so do other big-name guitarists who are currently filling stadiums. That's why these boxes command north of $1,500 each - if big rock-stars, whose 'ear' is much better than mine swear by them, I'll go with that. If the tone wasn't 'there' to begin-with, why are SO MANY people building clones of the darned-things? Inquiring minds want to know.....So do you have one? How do you like it? Not my cup of tea - I like more "heavy" sounds, a Klon is about subtlety. Some people hear that sound, and they "get" what a Klon brings to the table. Okay....I have a good friend who is part-owner of Celestial Effects here in MA, and his lead design Engineer has a Klon on his board. In MA, you could get Klons pretty easily until their popularity took-off (rock-stars started to use them religiously), since the guy who made them is out of Boston. They were floating around until the prices went crazy, and that's when the "Klon Drama" reached critical-mass.....seems everyone 'loves' the Klon, until they couldn't afford one. THEN people started to bitch about them. This isn't about the merits of the Klon 'sound', its about people not being able to get on the bandwagon and BUY one, nothing more....its become a high-dollar status symbol, like having a Dumble amp. If 'everyone' could afford one, you betcha we'd all buy one just to hear what all the drama is about, and there'd be a lot LESS bitching. Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to try a clone. Right now, for overdriven sounds I'm happy with my Tim pedal. For leads, I like some nice fuzzy sounds. Sometime though I'll try a good copy to see what the fuss is all about. I think if you wanted the Klon sound, but not the hefty buy-in, your best-bet would be to pick-up a Klon KTR pedal. The price-point is around $350, and you're buying a Klon pedal developed by the same guy who designed and manufactured the original Klon, so you're getting the same signal output and tone. Just cheaper materials and less fabrication costs.
bigolsparky Posted December 22, 2015 Posted December 22, 2015 Me with a Klon would be like lipstick on a pig.
Jellyfish Posted December 22, 2015 Posted December 22, 2015 While the You Tube video from Bigolsparky was funny as hell, the Klon is NOT a tube screamer. Completely different design and sound. People that say it is have never used an original Klon design or Aluminum Falcon I.Absolutely true. In fact I would argue that - in one sense - the sound of the Klon is the opposite of the Screamer, in that it aims to be "uncolored" whereas the TS is all about pumped-up mids and compression. There's no better or worse here of course... just different. And as gtrdaddy points out, the designs of the two circuits are in no way related, with major differences in the gain and clipping architecture as well as the selection/quality of components used.The Klon also has the distinction of being one of very few truly original overdrive/distortion designs. Which is saying a lot in a market full of gain pedals that are either straight-up copies or very close relatives of the same handful of "usual suspects". Even the venerable Tubescreamer is not a completely original design - it's based directly on the Boss OD-1. So all of the TS derivatives out there (which may account for 90% of the overdrive pedals in use today) are actually "copies of a copy"...
Tortious Posted February 28, 2016 Posted February 28, 2016 On 12/22/2015 at 3:06 PM, gtrdaddy said: I picked up two PCE Aluminum Falcon I pedals which are exact 'Klones!' There was no discernible difference between the Klon and the Aluminum Falcon. Got one of these this week, very nice pedal. Very silly name, which I liked as well.
anotherfreak Posted February 28, 2016 Posted February 28, 2016 .........but where do I get the magic goop for my KTR
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.