Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mid 90's, Korean made Slammer Series question

Laz

Question

Hi, guys, I have a question.  On the mid 90's, double cutaway, solid body, dot neck guitars that were made in Korea, and say "Slammer Series" in small writing underneath the Hamer headstock logo, is there any reason why some were flat top and some were arch top?  I'm just doing some digging here & hoping you cats can help shed light on this for me.

Are there major differences?  Any reason why some were arch and some flat?  Anything to avoid or be leery of? Are the arch tops considered to be better guitars, for some reason?

Thank you kindly, in advance.  

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Sounds like you're asking the difference between the Special (flat top) and Studio (arch top). These are USA models, I'm not familiar with Slammer models, but I'd guess about the same difference between them as well.

Good luck and welcome.

• Thanks 1

Major difference? One's thicker. B)  Really, I think the only difference is one is flat and the other has a thicker arched top, which probably adds a little weight and makes it sound a little different depending on what the top material is. Get one of each and get back to us on that.

Of all the Hamer imports, the MIK Slammer Series as you described are considered by most to be the best of the lot, followed by the regular un-Slammer Series MIK, followed by whatever they did after that. I think the Slammer Series are the best bang-for-the-buck imports on the market.

• Like 1

The only real difference, aside from the arched top v. flat top is that the flat top versions clocked in at a lower price point.  They are different models, as pointed out above.

The lower the serial number the earlier and perhaps better build. I just purchased  Hamer Slammer Series MIK Cali 3XXXXX serial and it has a three piece length wise maple neck. My MIK Bass, 4XXXXX  has the same.

They've become great backup pieces with a few part changes... pots, tuners, pickups.

Still working on Cali. I'm putting parts in tomorrow. 

MIK Cali 4.jpg

MIK Cali 1.jpg

MIK CHAP BASS 2.jpg