Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 7, 2023 Posted October 7, 2023 OKAY, STAND DOWN PEOPLE, IT HAS FOUND A NEW OWNER As if we needed another Californian for sale on the board... But I'm putting mine up for sale, so I might as well offer a discount here. I *think* it's factory scalloped. If anyone can tell for certain that it is or isn't, please let me know. Listing here: https://reverb.com/item/74303156-hamer-usa-californian-1989-aged-cream-factory-scalloped-fretboard For here, I'll sell it for $2500 + actual shipping, Zelle or PayPal friends/family. The reason I'm selling it is I wasn't playing it much before I switched to acoustic as my main instrument. I don't really like double-locking trem systems...my basement gets cold enough I have to tune up if I don't play a guitar for a few months, and having to tune up a Floyd Rose is much more of a hassle than a Wilikinon. And then, I think those are regular nickel-silver frets. They're in good shape, but I really am addicted to stainless steel. Since I'm not a shredder, I guess I don't need the extra meedly-meedly frets, so my Warmoths are enough for me. So this one is for sale. Bridge sounds good. Neck, tho, sounds divine. I love it. The tone the neck gets made me hesitate about selling it for weeks. Anyway, take it off my hands and love it like it should be loved.
diablo175 Posted October 7, 2023 Posted October 7, 2023 Lovely ax! Wish I got on well with scalloped boards! That, and not really playing my Cali's (other than my custom) nearly enough to prompt me to grab this. GLWTS!
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 7, 2023 Author Posted October 7, 2023 7 hours ago, Dave Scepter said: That's badass and quite the discount👍 The "discount" is what I paid for it. Asking is not getting, as I think the Reverb asking price will demonstrate ably. But we'll see. It's rare, it seems like people *are* starting to get into scalloped fretboards. On the other hand, inflation has taken a bunch of disposable income out of people's pockets.
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 7, 2023 Author Posted October 7, 2023 30 minutes ago, diablo175 said: Lovely ax! Wish I got on well with scalloped boards! That, and not really playing my Cali's (other than my custom) nearly enough to prompt me to grab this. GLWTS! I feel the *EXACT* same way about your Cali. Altho, tbh, "lovely" is a stretch. I enjoyed playing it despite its looks. It seems way too ugly for your tastes...
Dave Scepter Posted October 7, 2023 Posted October 7, 2023 I keep coming back to this bad ass rocker as it's soooooooi tempting "I have a thing for aged white guitars and would match my existing ones" Love the reverse headstock and scallops but would change out the white pickup ring and remove the single coil cover
diablo175 Posted October 7, 2023 Posted October 7, 2023 5 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: I feel the *EXACT* same way about your Cali. Altho, tbh, "lovely" is a stretch. I enjoyed playing it despite its looks. It seems way too ugly for your tastes... Nah, it's still lovely from the standpoint of a blank canvas on which I could create a new, more dynamic finish concept. That said, I have a custom order super Strat coming in by X-mas that will be Hendrix-esque olympic white with a white pickguard.
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 7, 2023 Author Posted October 7, 2023 1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said: I keep coming back to this bad ass rocker as it's soooooooi tempting "I have a thing for aged white guitars and would match my existing ones" Love the reverse headstock and scallops but would change out the white pickup ring and remove the single coil cover oh, yeah! A few changes could have really improved its look. It's close to looking cool. But I've been in "yanno, I don't *really* care about cosmetics" mode since before I got it. Please notice the dings and finish cracks in the pictures on Reverb, tho. I don't want to surprise anyone.
Jon C Posted October 10, 2023 Posted October 10, 2023 Kudos to Nathan for this informative and honest post. This is how you do it! Unlike others who avoid providing requested details and photos. I have never played a scalloped fretboard. I have to imagine it is hard to play chords in tune.....right?
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 13, 2023 Author Posted October 13, 2023 On 10/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Jon C said: Kudos to Nathan for this informative and honest post. This is how you do it! Unlike others who avoid providing requested details and photos. I have never played a scalloped fretboard. I have to imagine it is hard to play chords in tune.....right? If you grip hard, yeah, you can chord it out of tune, especially in the cowboy chord area. Scalloped frets teach you to play with a lighter touch, if you have a good ear. The one that gave me the most tuning problems is the major D chord. But playing scalloped fretboards has gotten that out of my system. Playing with a lighter touch improves speed and accuracy, as well.
Dave Scepter Posted October 13, 2023 Posted October 13, 2023 9 hours ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: If you grip hard, yeah! 🤣
Cboss Posted October 13, 2023 Posted October 13, 2023 On 10/6/2023 at 11:30 PM, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: As if we needed another Californian for sale on the board... But I'm putting mine up for sale, so I might as well offer a discount here. I *think* it's factory scalloped. If anyone can tell for certain that it is or isn't, please let me know. Listing here: https://reverb.com/item/74303156-hamer-usa-californian-1989-aged-cream-factory-scalloped-fretboard For here, I'll sell it for $2700 + actual shipping, Zell or PayPal friends/family. The reason I'm selling it is I wasn't playing it much before I switched to acoustic as my main instrument. I don't really like double-locking trem systems...my basement gets cold enough I have to tune up if I don't play a guitar for a few months, and having to tune up a Floyd Rose is much more of a hassle than a Wilikinon. And then, I think those are regular nickel-silver frets. They're in good shape, but I really am addicted to stainless steel. Since I'm not a shredder, I guess I don't need the extra meedly-meedly frets, so my Warmoths are enough for me. So this one is for sale. Bridge sounds good. Neck, tho, sounds divine. I love it. The tone the neck gets made me hesitate about selling it for weeks. Anyway, take it off my hands and love it like it should be loved. What is the neck pickup?
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 14, 2023 Author Posted October 14, 2023 On 10/13/2023 at 10:33 AM, Cboss said: What is the neck pickup? No idea. Seller I bought it from didn't specify. I'll replace the strings and check if you're serious about buying it.
Cboss Posted October 14, 2023 Posted October 14, 2023 2 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: No idea. Seller I bought it from didn't specify. I'll replace the strings and check if you're serious about buying it. I was just curious because you said it sounded so good
Dave Scepter Posted October 14, 2023 Posted October 14, 2023 2 minutes ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: I'll replace the strings and check if you're serious about buying it. C'mon man... you should do it anyways if YOU are serious about selling it
Cboss Posted October 14, 2023 Posted October 14, 2023 Saying that slanted neck pickup sounds Divine is a pretty good teaser! I just got a prototype 2 so I'm very curious, same position
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 15, 2023 Author Posted October 15, 2023 7 hours ago, Cboss said: Saying that slanted neck pickup sounds Divine is a pretty good teaser! I just got a prototype 2 so I'm very curious, same position that actually makes perfect sense!
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 30, 2023 Author Posted October 30, 2023 As I feared, asking ain't getting. Since I'm about to drop the price out there to under $3k, I'll do something I wasn't originally planning on: Bump with a new price of $2500 in my pocket (you cover shipping and any fees, or friends/family it through PayPal)
Dave Scepter Posted October 30, 2023 Posted October 30, 2023 Good guy, I've purchased a guitar from him before, glwts 👍
narad Posted October 30, 2023 Posted October 30, 2023 Eh, on the contrary, I've had countless people ask me to ID various pickups that are in old guitars that I never modified. I don't think a single one ever bought the guitar after I went through the hassle of pulling it out. I don't even bother at this point. In this case, that modded look just is not working and I assume the first thing any buyer is going to do is pull that pickup and get it back to a more stock appearance. That said the price is high, especially when scallops are narrowing the market (I like them, but they do hurt a sale). Isn't that flame red body cali with the reverse HS like $2300 on here? And that one was sold on Reverb for around $1800 just last year. I didn't get more than $2300-2500 for nice cali elites when I had to sell them in the past two years. You have to price with those sorts of examples in the market.
Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame Posted October 30, 2023 Author Posted October 30, 2023 There aren't enough of these sold to know what the price should be. You can say the market narrows due to scalloping, but the obvious counter is: okay, go buy one of the other market-scalloped Calis...and there are none. Heck, when I checked last night, the only other Cali for sale on Reverb at all is the double-necked one. So it comes down to whether scalloping is an actual turn-off or an actual bonus. I think Diablo could sell his flamed maple one on reverb for well over $3500. It's only dropped to $2300 because he's only selling it here. The red one in my AVI sold for $3400 about 6 months ago...or maybe it was longer, time flies. The point of this rambling is: When you're talking about extremely rare items, it's hard to say with any certainty something should be cheaper or more expensive. It's just: does the seller value the money offered more than keeping the guitar, and does the buyer value the guitar more than the asking price? A sale only happens if BOTH sides think they are getting the better end of the deal. Unless desperation is involved, but still: even if the seller WANTS $2500, does he value $1800 in his pocket today more than not knowing when he'll get the $2500, if ever? I'm not to that point yet. I'd rather keep the guitar than accept, say, $2200 now, because I don't need to sell it, and I think there's a chance $2500 (or a little higher on Reverb and eBay) might be enough to get a buyer.
Dave Scepter Posted October 30, 2023 Posted October 30, 2023 1 hour ago, Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame said: You can say the market narrows due to scalloping, but the obvious counter is: okay, go buy one of the other market-scalloped Calis...So it comes down to whether scalloping is an actual turn-off or an actual bonus All true, especially if it's factory scallops... if I had the money, it would be on it's way to me 🖖👽
Bennyboy-UK Posted November 29, 2023 Posted November 29, 2023 There has just been a listing of this guitar on one of the Hamer Facebook pages - is DeLeone Danny your Nom de Plume?
Dave Scepter Posted November 29, 2023 Posted November 29, 2023 11 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said: Nom de Plume? Is that French for you like to eat purple? 🍆 🤣
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.