LucSulla Posted September 10 Posted September 10 Also met Bill Keliher from Mastodon and was every bit as awkward as I figured I would be. Uncle Acid is always a lot of fun and is proof positive that you can play Sabbath-esque metal through a couple of Fender Twins. I get why they don't make albums like they sound live, but I wish they made albums like they sound live. I can appreciate the artistic vision, but damn, when your band really is "that" band, why not capture it. I met two guys down front who had never seen them before, and I told them, "These guys are way louder and way heavier live than on their records." Four bars into the first song, and they turn around and mouth, "Holy Shit!" I just nod with a smile. But the real revelation was Messa, kind of a doom/goth band from Italy with an absolutely top shelf guitar player and incredible front woman. There is more than a little jazz in there too. If you want to go see a guy stand up there with a tele into a couple of Hiwatts and suck you in with some absolutely tasty chops only to tear your face off in the best possible way, highly recommend. I don't generally get into things that lean this far into the goth realm, but when the players are this good, you can't deny it. This music video pretty well sums the experience up. Stick with it through the solo section - that note at 7:07... oh man, that's a good note. I've listened to that solo section probably 20 times today. 1 Quote
Saul Goodman Posted September 10 Posted September 10 (edited) 2 hours ago, LucSulla said: Also met Bill Keliher from Mastodon and was every bit as awkward as I figured I would be. Uncle Acid is always a lot of fun and is proof positive that you can play Sabbath-esque metal through a couple of Fender Twins. I get why they don't make albums like they sound live, but I wish they made albums like they sound live. I can appreciate the artistic vision, but damn, when your band really is "that" band, why not capture it. I met two guys down front who had never seen them before, and I told them, "These guys are way louder and way heavier live than on their records." Four bars into the first song, and they turn around and mouth, "Holy Shit!" I just nod with a smile. But the real revelation was Messa, kind of a doom/goth band from Italy with an absolutely top shelf guitar player and incredible front woman. There is more than a little jazz in there too. If you want to go see a guy stand up there with a tele into a couple of Hiwatts and suck you in with some absolutely tasty chops only to tear your face off in the best possible way, highly recommend. I don't generally get into things that lean this far into the goth realm, but when the players are this good, you can't deny it. This music video pretty well sums the experience up. Stick with it through the solo section - that note at 7:07... oh man, that's a good note. I've listened to that solo section probably 20 times today. You mean I halfda listen to this for seven minutes? 😆 Edited September 10 by Saul Goodman Quote
LucSulla Posted September 11 Author Posted September 11 1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said: You mean I halfda listen to this for seven minutes? 😆 Hell yeah you do - especially the person posting doom metal pedal comparisons and Mark Lanegan songs. She can sing her ass off, and the guitarist is a complete monster. Craziest shit I've heard in a metal context that wasn't being purposely avant-garde and outside since Brent Hinds was throwing Jerry Reed leads into a sludge metal band. 2 Quote
velorush Posted September 11 Posted September 11 RE: Messa (first video posted): a DX7 and Danelectro U-2 in the same video? Be still my heart! And what a voice! 2 Quote
LucSulla Posted September 11 Author Posted September 11 1 minute ago, velorush said: RE: Messa (first video posted): a DX7 and Danelectro U-2 in the same video? Be still my heart! And what a voice! Second video is just a live version of the same song, but queued where the solo stretches a bit more. First time in my life I've ever seen a point to learning bebop jazz, lol. 1 Quote
Saul Goodman Posted September 11 Posted September 11 13 minutes ago, LucSulla said: Hell yeah you do - especially the person posting doom metal pedal comparisons and Mark Lanegan songs. She can sing her ass off, and the guitarist is a complete monster. Craziest shit I've heard in a metal context that wasn't being purposely avant-garde and outside since Brent Hinds was throwing Jerry Reed leads into a sludge metal band. I know. I was just impersonating every other person on here before they jumped in. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of them. 1 Quote
soli'd Posted September 11 Posted September 11 My next door neighbors are friends with the mastodon guys, and I met Bill at a Xmas party of theirs. I had a super awkward interaction with him, too. After reading your account, I'm going to deduce that it's him, not us. 3 Quote
LucSulla Posted September 11 Author Posted September 11 1 hour ago, soli'd said: My next door neighbors are friends with the mastodon guys, and I met Bill at a Xmas party of theirs. I had a super awkward interaction with him, too. After reading your account, I'm going to deduce that it's him, not us. Haha, you may be correct, but trust me, I can be awkward as hell if I don't want to be awkward as hell. 1 3 Quote
veatch Posted September 11 Posted September 11 3 hours ago, LucSulla said: Hell yeah you do - especially the person posting doom metal pedal comparisons and Mark Lanegan songs. She can sing her ass off, and the guitarist is a complete monster. Craziest shit I've heard in a metal context that wasn't being purposely avant-garde and outside since Brent Hinds was throwing Jerry Reed leads into a sludge metal band. Has a No Quarter vibe to it. 1 1 Quote
LucSulla Posted September 11 Author Posted September 11 39 minutes ago, veatch said: Has a No Quarter vibe to it. That's a good call. I can hear what you mean. 1 Quote
Saul Goodman Posted September 11 Posted September 11 11 hours ago, LucSulla said: Hell yeah you do - especially the person posting doom metal pedal comparisons and Mark Lanegan songs. She can sing her ass off, and the guitarist is a complete monster. Craziest shit I've heard in a metal context that wasn't being purposely avant-garde and outside since Brent Hinds was throwing Jerry Reed leads into a sludge metal band. I listened, and watched, the entire video. First song the singer couldn't sing on key. I was disappointed after watching your first video of them, "The Dress." I figured she couldn't sing live. Then the second song she was pitch perfect. So either her monitors weren't working (yet) or she was doing it on purpose which is hard to do. I'm impressed. Quote
LucSulla Posted September 14 Author Posted September 14 The girl and I drove over to Little Rock to see them at the White Water Tavern. Cool show! I couldn't believe how great they sounded in what was basically a cinder block corner of a dive bar. Talked to the bass player for a second afterward. They keyboard player from Uncle Acid was there, and she saw me looking over at the band and my shirt and kind of had an, "Oh no, this guy is going to talk to me" look (she's quite attractive). Nope - Coming over to talk to the bass player about Italy and Hiwatts! Tilting at windmills is bad enough, but especially when the GF is standing there. Still a lot of good music out there for $15. I genuinely don't know how the smaller bands eat these days, but I respect the hell out of them for making a go of it. 3 Quote
soli'd Posted September 15 Posted September 15 Just a day after we were discussing Mastodon it looks like a lesser known band call Big Hairy Elephant played at the EARL here in ATL. It's one of my favorite places in town to see a show and holds about 100+ people. I was apparently not in the loop. https://stereogum.com/2511253/mastodon-play-secret-atlanta-tour-warmup-with-live-debuts-rarities-baroness-john-baizley/news Quote
Brooks Posted September 15 Posted September 15 I checked uncle acid out awhile back while perusing sab-ish stuff, their studio stuff doesn't hit like that live vid! 2 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.