The Shark Posted October 21, 2009 Posted October 21, 2009 Anyone have one? I need one to restore a bass. Thanks.
Thundernotes Posted October 21, 2009 Posted October 21, 2009 One possibility: http://pickguards.us/pricericken.html
specialk Posted October 21, 2009 Posted October 21, 2009 If you don't need OEM:http://www.luthiersupply.com/pearltrussrodcovers.html
cmatthes Posted October 21, 2009 Posted October 21, 2009 Original ones (even recent ones) sell for well over $100 these days - even in a down economy. I've seen them as high as $350 in the last year too (!!).Since RIC won't sell one without turning in the old one first and they scour the internet hourly looking for anything that might violate their corporate trademarks, it's become extremely tough to get one.There are a couple of sellers on eBay who part out RICs on occasion, but a lot of times those auctions get "mysteriously" shut down. I'll keep an eye out for you though - I am assuming you are looking for a black logo on white, v/a black on gold or white on black, right?
The Shark Posted October 22, 2009 Author Posted October 22, 2009 Black logo on white, please. Aftermarket is fine. Thanks for the tips. She's so far gone, it won't really matter. It's just a fun project.
GusS Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 you won't be able to find a legit TRC for less than about $150 for a used one on ebay. there's a guy in italy that was selling counterfeit ones on ebay for like $60. Like chris mentions, ric shuts'em all down. Pickguardian (who does aftermarket plexi Ric pickguards) won't even do a blank TRC.
specialk Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 Okay, I gotta ask. Why doesn't Ric sell TRCs to the public? There must be a reason I'm not seeing. Other manufacturers don't do this, at least that I know of.
bizzwriter Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 Okay, I gotta ask. Why doesn't Ric sell TRCs to the public? There must be a reason I'm not seeing. Other manufacturers don't do this, at least that I know of.Cos they're VERY protective of their trademarks. As you know, the Rickenbacker name doesn't actually appear on the headstock EXCEPT on the TRC (unlike Gibson and Fender and everyone else). There were a rash of Japanese Rick clones back in the '70s/'80s, and it was easy to take a real TRC and slap it on to make a fake Rick. Part of the reason you don't see Rick clones all over the place is because the Rickenbacker company is SOOOOOO aggressive in keeping repro TRCs off the market.Here's a PM (borrowed from TGP) from Rickenbacker CEO John Hall explaining his philosophy on all this:# # #Let me put it in terms closer to home- what if I recorded one of the songsyou wrote and sold it for my profit? Would that be right and would it makeyou happy? And what about the guy that buys that music- especially if heknows I stole it, isn't he thumbing his nose at you?You write songs, I make guitars; you have the absolute exclusive rights toyour creations and I have the exclusive rights to mine. If we didn't havethat right, we wouldn't bother to create.Cheers,John HallChief Executive OfficerRickenbacker Int'l Corp.3895 S. Main StreetSanta Ana, CA. 92707# # #
specialk Posted October 23, 2009 Posted October 23, 2009 Wow, thanks for that info. I can see why they're so protective now. I guess the lesson here is to never lose your Ric TRC.
tc2 Posted October 24, 2009 Posted October 24, 2009 and you can also go out of business Mr Hall just like GM if you piss your customer base off....
cmatthes Posted October 24, 2009 Posted October 24, 2009 and you can also go out of business Mr Hall just like GM if you piss your customer base off.... You mean like taking 4 years to build something somebody ordered? Nawww...
tc2 Posted October 24, 2009 Posted October 24, 2009 I dont wanna go all personal but Mr Halls social skills are a bit lacking but I guess you would expect that from a guy that rode his daddies coattails...fucking trust fundersand the argument about someone stealing your song is DUMB.... as long as you got a writers credit and shared the monies who cares....kinda like Fender did with FujiGen Gakki .... get with it Mr Hall before you lose everything
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.