Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What is the Hamer of G&L Strats?

Ting Ho Dung

Question

3 singles. no superstrat or Floyd type. Also what can one find them for on the used market and availability.

What finish does G&L use? I see they have different neck profiles which I like. Which one is your favorite? I know it may not be mine but would like to know why you like it.

Anything else you can think of I should know about G&L?

I have never held one or seen one in person.

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASAT Special Deluxe.

It's an ASAT Deluxe, but with MFD soapbar pickups (the "Special" part) instead of humbuckers. It doesn't have its own page on the G&L website right now. Dave's also appears to have the optional belly cut.

My dealer invoice says it's an ASAT Special Deluxe.

This one should be in this week "for store stock."

Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble when I "work a deal" for it...

alm938.jpg

npnlw6.jpg

That's bad-assed Dave. What model is that?

I love the look of that "binding". I like it better than real binding actually.. it is the deal where they mask off some of the finish right?

It's cool. G&L refers to it as wood binding, some folks also use the term "scrape binding," so I'm guessing the process is to actually scrape as opposed to mask it.

ASAT Special Deluxe.

It's an ASAT Deluxe, but with MFD soapbar pickups (the "Special" part) instead of humbuckers. It doesn't have its own page on the G&L website right now. Dave's also appears to have the optional belly cut.

My dealer invoice says it's an ASAT Special Deluxe.

I never doubted that for a second. The model exists and I think I even remember when it was on the website. I was just saying that for someone wanting a rundown on the specs, they are mostly the same as for an ASAT Deluxe--mahogany body, figured maple top, rear-mounted controls, etc.--except with the MFD soapbars instead of Duncan 'buckers.

I misread ya, then. This one actually has a Swamp Ash body. Just checked with G&L and the ASAT Special Deluxe is now gone as a production piece but will still be available via CO. Mods, feel free to delete all this shit if problematic.

I misread ya, then. This one actually has a Swamp Ash body. Just checked with G&L and the ASAT Special Deluxe is now gone as a production piece but will still be available via CO. Mods, feel free to delete all this shit if problematic.

Dangit, I got the body wood wrong too. I wish G&L would put the Special Deluxe on their website. That's easily one of the coolest gits in their lineup, CO or no.

I was thinking of it as an ASAT Deluxe (rear-mounted controls, mahogany body) with MFD soapbars, when actually it's an ASAT Special (ash and MFDs) with Deluxe touches of a flame maple top and rear-mounted controls. That way, it's a Special Deluxe. :)

My G&L Legacys and S500s

Legacy Special in cherry burst / stock with Gotoh Dual Blade and Power Blade pickups

15118272735_5c65ba67a6_o.jpg

Legacy HB in natural / stock with Duncan TB-4 and G&L CLF100 alnico Vs

15095209206_73eb2a1bf4_o.jpg

S500 in three tone burst / stock with G&L MFDs

15095095736_5a9b24e48d_o.jpg

S500 Deluxe in cherry burst / stock with G&L MFDs

14931478458_6182523876_o.jpg

Legacy Special in clear blue / stock

14426234672_b92e2f0a57_o.jpg

Legacy Deluxe in honey burst / stock same p'ups as the Legacy HB

9604178868_377ace0c08_o.jpg

Legacy in tobacco burst / DiMarzio Injectors and Area 67

9604148800_c44b10359f_o.jpg

Legacy 2HB in Candy Apple Red / stock with Duncan TB-4 bridge and G&L p'up neck

9604125614_b5e8e961d3_o.jpg

Legacy in cherry burst / stock with G&L CLF100 alnico Vs

9594891628_61b04f03cb_o.jpg

Legacy in blonde / DiMarzio Areas 61 / 67 /58

9573831285_e2290e632e_o.jpg

And less "strat like" ...

Invader Plus in clear forest green / stock with Duncan TB-4 / Gotoh Dual Blade / G&L p'up in the neck

9592045155_ce59c9bc98_o.jpg

F100 in two tone burst / stock with G&L MFD humbuckers ( not for the faint hearted )

9576616424_5818f102fd_o.jpg

.. and even less strat like

ASAT III in blue burst / stock with three G&L MFDs from an S500 / five way switch

9582609642_c419164f75_o.jpg

All except the Invader and ASAT have the G&L PTB tone controls, which I find far more useful than a strat.

The one I use the most of those pictured is the first one, the Legacy Special in cherry burst.

btw I like a G&L or two :)

Dangit, I got the body wood wrong too. I wish G&L would put the Special Deluxe on their website. That's easily one of the coolest gits in their lineup, CO or no.

I was thinking of it as an ASAT Deluxe (rear-mounted controls, mahogany body) with MFD soapbars, when actually it's an ASAT Special (ash and MFDs) with Deluxe touches of a flame maple top and rear-mounted controls. That way, it's a Special Deluxe. :)

Turns out it was Mahogany. Cali gear companies. Gotta love it! Sounds amazing.

Tim McGraw rocking his ASAT Classic.

11224775_10208085682278581_2666204960926

Have you looked at the G&L Fallout?

I briefly owned an early Fallout, before they were offering the split humbucker. I enjoyed having a guitar configured with both a P90 and a HB, but I also had a Kokocaster that was configured the same way. I preferred the Kokocaster, so the Fallout was sold.

Archived