Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vocal Help Needed! (Processing/Processor?)

hamerhead

Question

So yesterday I took a stab at a vocal track (haven't sung in years with good reason) and while I could hold pitch, my volume control - or lack thereof - was pretty special. Tried 4 different mics with the same result - too loud here, too quiet there. I'm plugging straight into a Tascam DP-24SD.

Do I see a limiter and/or compressor in my future?  Do I need to leave it to the professionals? Do I just STFU and play guitar?

SINGERS - HELP PLEASE!!! Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

7 answers to this question

Part of the skill of singing on a mic is changing the distance of the mic from your mouth.  Also, controlling volume on vocal tracks is hard to do.  

I use use a really clean limiter and a compressor on my vocal tracks.

i also edit the volume after I record using automation in logic.  

Last year I bought a plug in called vocal rider from Waves.  It works really well.

It finally went on sale really cheap.

What mathman said and also learning to work the mic a bit is a good skill.  If you're aware of when you're louder and quieter, back off a little when you're louder and move in a smidge when you're quieter.  That way, you're the compression and you don't have to apply as much to the track and it'll sound more natural.  

Short answer, yes, a compressor into your direct device will smooth the levels out. There are many options at low prices.

When you’re using software a plug-in a compressor does the same thing effectively- smooths the levels out.

In real life there are some easy practical things you can do too with your face instrument.

:)

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the whole working-the-mic thing is more of an art than I remember and it probably has a lot to do with technology. The last time I recorded my own voice it was to a Tascam 8-track thru a Mackie board (I think....or was it a Peavey?....) which probably smoothed/mushed it out a bit. It seems more exaggerated now.

I have one of those ART tube MP Studio things that I've never used. Think that would help?

Archived