Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First post: tell me all about the USA Special P90

Bigben55

Yeah, really nothing wrong with a shim. If the nut wore down, a shim is cheaper than a whole new nut.  When  brought my Stingray 5 in for a new nut, they offered to shim it, but I already had the nut blank, so I said just redo it.

I guess I should post mine too. I need to take some new pictures of the Hamer Herd soon.

1996 Special

Hamer96a.jpg

Archtop studio snuck in for this one. Definitely shows the difference in the color that rosewood can be.

93 studio and 93 special

hamers.jpg

I should note that the Special and the studio from 1993 are both VERY close in serial number, but the neck profiles are COMPLETELY different. The special is pretty dang thin, while the studio neck is about the same as the 96 special neck.

I`ve owned many Specials over the years with P90`s and Humbuckers(Special HB) and Special FM`s. The necks changes from skinny to medium sometime in 1993. I hated the skinny ones. The medium necks are great. I didn`t like the P90`s, but the medium neck ones with a SD JB in the bridge were awesome. Of course GAS always got to me and sold them all.

A-P90 Special is one of those "utility" guitars, simple basic rawk machines with plenty of rude, built with awesome quality.  If it's not your first Hamer, it should be your second because you're going to play the treads off of it.  Some (most) don't like the Duncans but I do.  OK, so maybe I like to play Mississippi Queen.  But those Duncans through something smallish and tweedy gets a great swampy, greasy thing going.

My first Hamer was that CAR P90 special. I would have kept the stock pickups in the second one I got, but I already had the CAR one, so I wanted something a bit more "vintage".

Archived