Hamer Fan Club Message Center

GATC Archtop Custom vs. a Sunburst?

Drew816

Question

Okay, I'll bite; what's the practical difference between a Sunburst and a Archtop Custom? Bound and Crowned, the only thing I see that's different (in the examples I've seen) is the lack of the term "Sunburst" on the headstock. Studio Customs, they have the Victory fretboard maker (maybe bound headstock)? 

Bonus question, anyway to determine which of either model has the thinner neck profile? Besides asking? I love their 90s thin neck profile but you just don't see them that often.

Yeah, I know, I've been around long enough I should KNOW this already; but I really didn't pay that much attention until recently and I think I've settled on giving up the big flame Les Paul hunt and getting another big top DC style Hamer, thin neck of course; it's just how to find one and which models do I target?

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

The Studio Customs are plentiful modestly priced and will make a lot of LP’s seem crappy!! They have beautiful flame on many. Then there’s the Special FM’s. There’s been some gorgeous FM’s that have gone across the FS board in the last year!

Sunbursts are flat and Archtop Customs have, well....an arched top.

Around '90 - '94 I think the necks were thin/wide. The earliest Sunbursts ('70s/early '80s) had small-ish necks compared to the late '90s/'00s.

There is no difference between:

Sunburst Archtop (with crowns, but some do have dots) 1991-1993. Sunburst logo on most; it superseded the traditional flat-top model.

Archtop Custom 1993-1997. Archtop Studio is unbound, dots and some have wrap-around bridges. No name below Hamer logo.

Studio Custom 1998-2012. The latest ones from the noughties have Victory markers. Studio is the unbound/dot version. "Studio" usually on TRC.

Same guitar, different names! 

Looks like part way through 2002 is when the switch from "crowns" to "victory" inlays happened, along with inlayed headstock logos on "Custom" trimmed Artists and Studios. 95-96 was when some had wraptails (and the odd belly-cut). "Studio" and other engraved TRCs seem to be random until 2002, when they became standard. My 2001 Artist Custom has the later style trc, but no engraving, while every 2002+ I've seen is engraved.

Okay, this is all making sense. My '91 Murkat re-worked Sunburst has the "arched top" but in reality this was a hot-rodded version of the Sunburst of old (flattops from back in the day).  I picked up the '93 Orange FM here on HFC because it was a great deal and it was ya know, ORANGE. The neck on the '93 is smaller than the '91, but I can live with the '91. This era seems to suits me (and my 11 year old girl hands!). 

So with the neck preference in mind if looking for another Sunburst I should probably stick in this range, unless someone has a later Archtop Custom or bound Studio Custom that knowingly has a thin neck. A wraptail/belly cut would be cool or inlayed/bound headstock; but not at the cost of the neck profile...

Thanks!!

91_Sunburst_Hamer.jpg

93_Front2 (1).jpg

The Floyd-fitted Sunbursts (both Archtop or flat-top) differed in having a maple neck and a slightly altered neck angle to accommodate the back-rout for pull-ups.

These were short-lived, early nineties only (and '89 flat-tops).

Just to stir the pot, the Wilkinson wrap-around is probably the worst hardware item Hamer ever used, as found on Studios 86-87.

Good point on the Wilkinson, there are other options out there to swap in though.

The Maple Neck on my '91 really suits the guitar, but then my favorite Les Pauls of yore all had maple necks too. I think they have a way of balancing out EQ, in some/many cases. But this is info I didn't know so thanks for that!

And honestly, a TOM works fine, a wrap is just more clean. Hell, if anyone has a thin neck'ed Sunburst with a TOM for sale, let me know!  😉

Just now, hamerhead said:

The Orange one is cool as hell because it's a Special and Specials RULE!

True and it's well an ORANGE FLAMETOP. I mean, who doesn't like that?

You can't see the little dings here and there on this one but it's stunning regardless. It is a tone monster too.

Do I really "need" another Hamer Sunburst/Archtop/Custom/Whatever? NO, of course not, but I "want" another one...  😉

If you need something with P90s (and you DO need something with P90s!), look for a '92 or '93 Special. There was a ton of them that generally sold pretty cheap ($600-$800) and have the neck carve you seek.

Archived