Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Korina Artist Chrome to Nickel Hardware

gretsch8217

I never did like the look of nice, shiny chrome hardware on korina wood guitars, so I decided to remedy that on my 2001 Korina Artist

I had all the parts I needed laying around to do the conversion, which made it a quick and easy endeavor.

The original Gotoh stoptail piece was replaced with a lightweight Tone Pros nickel plated aluminum locking unit. The stock Schaller Nashville bridge was swapped for a nickel Gotoh ABR-1.

I had a nice pair of nickel plated steel stud for the tailpiece, but unfortunately, they have US threads and the Gotoh bushings are metric. No worries, as I had a pair of metric thread studs laying around. They aren't steel, but I ordered a set of Kluson steel studs with metric threads.

The last things were the pickup covers. I didn't have any nickel plated Duncan covers, but I did have a pair of gold covers. With some Noxon and a good helping of elbow grease, I was able to remove the gold plating, leaving behind the unpolished nickel.

The only things left are the chrome Rotomatics. I'm not going to relace the tuners themselves, but perhaps only the half moon buttons. I see that Hipshot sells only the buttons, but I need to verify that they will fit my tuners. I'm guessing that they will.

20210903_113204.jpg

I fall on the other side of the fence when it comes to chrome and do my best to keep mine tarnish free. But I'm a sucker for Korina Artists and  that is one fine looking guitar  you have. 

Rawk on!

1 hour ago, gretsch8217 said:

I never did like the look of nice, shiny chrome hardware on korina wood guitars, so I decided to remedy that on my 2001 Korina Artist

I had all the parts I needed laying around to do the conversion, which made it a quick and easy endeavor.

The original Gotoh stoptail piece was replaced with a lightweight Tone Pros nickel plated aluminum locking unit. The stock Schaller Nashville bridge was swapped for a nickel Gotoh ABR-1.

I had a nice pair of nickel plated steel stud for the tailpiece, but unfortunately, they have US threads and the Gotoh bushings are metric. No worries, as I had a pair of metric thread studs laying around. They aren't steel, but I ordered a set of Kluson steel studs with metric threads.

The last things were the pickup covers. I didn't have any nickel plated Duncan covers, but I did have a pair of gold covers. With some Noxon and a good helping of elbow grease, I was able to remove the gold plating, leaving behind the unpolished nickel.

The only things left are the chrome Rotomatics. I'm not going to relace the tuners themselves, but perhaps only the half moon buttons. I see that Hipshot sells only the buttons, but I need to verify that they will fit my tuners. I'm guessing that they will.

20210903_113204.jpg

I much prefer nickel over chrome and absolutely love the natural tarnish/patina nickel takes on over the years. Looks fantastic. Nicely done, sir!

Gold goes really good with korina too.

I like chrome, and I like nickel. Prefs go to the nickel, but I can't stand when they are mixed... Thats another fail for Heritage.

Nice axe!

8 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Gold goes really good with korina too.

I like chrome, and I like nickel. Prefs go to the nickel, but I can't stand when they are mixed... Thats another fail for Heritage.

Nice axe!

THIS!!!  One reason why I need to eventually change the tuners on my mirage II. They’re chrome when everything else is nickel. 🤮

Archived