Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Import/Japanese Jackson knowledge?

mrjamiam

Question

I picked these up in 2013 as I was going a bit wild in wanting to try things I had not had a chance to previously, in a "Let's see what a shred guitar is like" kind of way.  Now after a while of neglecting the pile of guitars (but not in a Yngwie way) I have sold a few and want to assess the rest for stay or go.

w full.jpg

b full.jpg

I think these are Japanese from the early 90's, but what I have found online about that range is a bit confusing.  Plus they don't say Japan on them anywhere I've seen yet.  I'm not yet ready for an A on my Charvel/Jackson history exam, but from what I gather it seems that Charvel went to Japan first, and then they started producing Jacksons at the same factory. 

https://www.axebition.com/electric-guitar/jackson-dinky-xl

https://www.axebition.com/electric-guitar/jackson-fusion-xl#

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equipment/import-jackson-guitars/89666-jackson-professional-series

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equipment/import-jackson-guitars/103845-import-serial-number-country-of-origin-faq

Right off the bat mine don't quite match up with the serial number FAQ, in that it's the Dinky XL that has the 91xxxx serial number, indicating 1991 manufacture, and the Fusion XL that has the 2xxxxx indicating 1992 manufacture, both in the 6-digit scheme.  The FAQ says it should be the other way around, with the Fusions having the 90xxxx, 91xxxx etc. scheme.  I do note that it was a post by a junior member, and I have seen other mentions elsewhere of the same schemes but nothing authoritatively tying it to one model or another.  It seems odd that the same factory would maintain two numbering schemes (we've never heard of that, have we?) but who am I to say.  Otherwise: 

"Toothpaste" logo and "Professional" on the headstock, check (although "toothpaste" seems to be more a Charvel thing; Jackson logos don't seem to change much)

"Dinky XL" and "Fusion XL" on the truss rod cover, check

Bound necks and headstocks unique to the XL line, check

Black and chrome 6-digit serial number neck plates linked to early 90's Japanese production, check

Jackson-branded (Duncan Designed?) pickups, check

Jackson-branded Floyd Rose-licensed by Schaller trem on the white Dinky XL, check

Charvel-branded Floyd Rose-licensed by Schaller trem on the black Fusion XL, not really a check but not surprising in light of the history and looks vintage-appropriate

Apparently there was supposed to be a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the neck.  Mine don't have them, but the white Dinky XL does have a patch of adhesive where one might have been.

What do I want from the experts?  I want to know how confident I can be that these are Japanese from 1991 and 1992.  I reason that they are not counterfeit, because the reward for the effort to reproduce so many elements would not be viable at the price point, but were there other eras of production from other factories that had the same elements that could cause mistakes in identification?  That isn't so easy to Google.

5 answers to this question

Not an expert on MIJ Jackson by any means, but those look legit to me on the surface.

Both Dinky XL and Fusion XL Professional models were from Chushin Gakki.  Fusion was '92 only (24.75" scale), and that model Dinky you have was made from 92-95.  Bodies would both be basswood.

My son has a lefty MIJ DK2 standard w/'02 dates on the neck heel and in the pocket (last year of mfg, if I recall correctly).  His has a JT-580 Floyd which has been a solid unit, and its a fantastic guitar.  Back then you could snag these in the 300 range!  MIJ J/C stuff has shot way up in more recent years.

Us7nB2s.jpg

Those are great guitars, I played a neckthru MIJ Charvel thru the 80's. I think your on the right track, check the pots for manufacture and date codes. 

Those are great guitars, indeed. I’ve still got my 1989 Charvel 650XL (with an ‘88 serial number), bought new in ‘92… 

The Jackson Professional line is the continuation of the Japanese Charvels when J/C discontinued the Japanese Charvel line because they were made so well they were cutting into the USA Jackson sales. The build quality, fit & finish was every bit as good as the USA models but they used some lesser pickups and electronics to save some money. And because they knew a lot of the players would swap that stuff out anyway. The only hardware/electronics stock on my Charvel are the tuners and the Schaller Floyd. With a set of Gravelins in there, I’ll put it up against any custom shop guitar, any time, any place. 

The guitar I've owned longer than any other is a '93 Jackson JTX, a Professional series guitar from Japan that is just amazing.  Several of my peers have commented on just how good it sounds and looks, and it never ceases to impress me every time I pick it up.

Jackson 1993 JTX Guitar.JPG

Archived