Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Concerned about bulge and dip on Taylor acoustic w Photos

BadgerDave

Question

I just acquired a Taylor 562ce 12 string from Guitar Center.  I played it for a while in the store while they appraised some old gear that I brought to trade.  Everything seemed fine except the string action was slightly high.  I was impressed enough to make the deal.

While tweaking the truss rod to remove some relief, I noticed possible issues with the top of the guitar near the bridge. There is a slight dip forward of the bridge and a slight rise behind.  I understand that this may be perfectly normal, but I'm concerned that there is a defect that could get worse over time.

I've attached photos that show the amount of deviation from perfectly flat on either side of the bridge. The first photo shows a reflection of the strings on the area forward of the bridge.  The image makes the depression look much more severe than it actually is, but that's what drew my attention to the issue.  The other photos show the issues accurately.

I know that there are several master luthiers and many pro technicians that are members here, as well as lots of other knowledgeable folks. I'd appreciate any opinions on whether this is normal or a potential major problem. 

Thanks! 

auRRfrAXRmSQRl4VtjORFA.jpg

xVKACXOrQoyX%patTXXEgA.jpg

MIISwgeUQTm8pQEESonYHQ.jpg

9 answers to this question

That's torque from the strings being out of plane with the guitar top. Do you have a mirror on a stick thingy? You might check to see if any bracing has pulled away from the top just below the sound hole, maybe.

image.png

I have a 555 here. I go check.

Yep. I have something similar, only slightly less on the soundhole side. This a Lemon Grove built 555 and likely has older stiffer bracing than Taylor's newer bracing schemes. Pic above is the V class stuff reduced to basics.

I also would not hesitate to call or send that in an email to Taylor. They have always been responsive to me.

555top.jpg

Oh, and congratulations on obtaining that trophy guitar. Proof that you a gentleman and a scowler! You have entered that rarified group of addicts. 12 string owners!

Welcome Brother.

P.S. Want me send you some Kottke tab? Jorma's Water Song sounds especially good on 12 strings. 

Good idea to check the braces. No real comment RE the dip, and the bellying behind the bridge looks normal to me. You say the action seems high— I’m no expert but the last photo you attached of the saddle makes it appear quite tall. If you had, say, a 20” straight edge I’d be interested to see where the end of the straight edge lands in the bridge/saddle area with the straight edge resting on the fingerboard. If the neck is straight my guess is that the corner of the ruler will hit the saddle well below the arc of the strings, indicating the need to reduce the saddle height.  Good Luck!

Contact Taylor, look inside for loose braces, check neck to bridge with a straightedge. Taylor will ask you about the humidity, so be aware of your house and remedy slowly if extreme. The last photo looks like a crack in the finish (hopefully) behind the bridge.

Also ask Taylor who they recommend for service near you.  A good luthier can diagnose bracing problems. One that is Taylor authorized can get the precision shims should it need a neck reset - no steaming the neck loose like glued dovetail joints, minor procedure.

Hope all is simple to get playing well. I picked up a used special build GS Custom 12 string nine years ago. Taylor sure knows how to build a great 12 sting.

23F553F3-6BE7-4B11-9215-2D312283BE83.jpeg

Thanks for the responses and offers.

I decided to take the easy way out and return the guitar.  Say what you will about Guitar Center, but their return policy is awesome.  The full purchase price including the trade value of the stuff I left with them was immediately credited back to my debit card.

Archived