Hamer Fan Club Message Center

? about intonation!

If you have a tuner, try comparing fretted notes one octave apart. For example, the fifth and seventeenth frets. That's how Peterson (strobo-tuners) recommends doing it, and it works good for me.

Compare the harmonic to the (very lightly) fretted note.

I do it this way but compare it to how I would typically fret the note at the 12th fret, otherwise I'd pull everthing sharp because I tend to really lean into it the higher I am up the neck. So the guitar may not necessarily be in tune with itself but it'll be in tune with my playing style.

This is why everyone should learn how to intonate their guitars themselves. A tech has no way of knowing how heavy or how light your touch is.

I use a low-cost Carvin chromatic tuner, and it works well for me. Personally, I'll look at both the harmonic and the lightly fretted note. Intonation will vary slightly from person to person, I think, depending on their touch, so subtle differences in the approach used to adjust intonation will exist. Just my opinion. Find what works for you....you'll know it when you find it. In my experience, you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get good intonation, you just need a bit of patience.

Edited to add: I didn't mean to repeat, there just happens to be a lot of people replying simultaneously! :)

Guest galejt
I use a low-cost Carvin chromatic tuner, and it works well for me. Personally, I'll look at both the harmonic and the lightly fretted note. Intonation will vary slightly from person to person, I think, depending on their touch, so subtle differences in the approach used to adjust intonation will exist. Just my opinion. Find what works for you....you'll know it when you find it. In my experience, you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get good intonation, you just need a bit of patience.

Edited to add: I didn't mean to repeat, there just happens to be a lot of people replying simultaneously! :)

The coffee has just kicked in. I just sliced off the end of my finger making breakfast for my lovely, so I ain't fiddlin'

I can't seem to break the code on intonation. Every attempt sounds like shit the next day. I'm also too fussy and inconsistent in my barres and I snore.

The coffee has just kicked in. I just sliced off the end of my finger making breakfast for my lovely, so I ain't fiddlin'

I can't seem to break the code on intonation. Every attempt sounds like shit the next day. I'm also too fussy and inconsistent in my barres and I snore.

Heh, I would say lay off the coffee, but if you just cut the end off your finger you won't give a crap (and it won't matter) anyway. :)

I use a low-cost Carvin chromatic tuner, and it works well for me. Personally, I'll look at both the harmonic and the lightly fretted note. Intonation will vary slightly from person to person, I think,  depending on their touch, so subtle differences in the approach used to adjust intonation will exist. Just my opinion. Find what works for you....you'll know it when you find it. In my experience, you don't HAVE to spend a lot of money to get good intonation, you just need a bit of patience.

An' the spiders done jammed the po-lice lock and I KNOW my ol' lady's up there wit the gas man and Mr. President, where can I find a job?????? :)

Archived