Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Good (and Bad) Vibes of Vinyl Playback

JohnnyB

Question

Here is a picture of a Grado cartridge with its cantilever/stylus assembly highlighted and labeled.

_GRADOCT.JPG

The cantilever, a tiny rod of aluminum or exotic metal, is the only thing in an entire turntable assembly that should passively vibrate.

But that’s not usually the case. There are many things in a typical turntable that vibrate:

• Motor sends vibrations to whatever it touches, most notably the platter and plinth.
  • Platter relays these vibrations to the stylus
  • Stylus oscillations create resonances within the vinyl record itself which are also picked up by the stylus
  • Some of the cantilever’s oscillations are lost to the cantilever flexing
  • Some of the cantilever’s oscillations are dissipated by cartridge body resonances
  • Stylus oscillations send vibrations up through the tonearm, and can cause it to resonate and vibrate; the cantilever’s movement should do nothing but disturb the magnetic field relationship between the magnet(s) and coils.
  • In-room vibrations, such as soundwave vibrations from the speakers, are transmitted up through the equipment rack into the turntable and are picked up by the cartridge
  • Speaker output also travels through the air to be picked up by the cartridge
  • If you play records with the dustcover in place, it adds resonating standing waves that correspond to the dimensions of the dustcover, and are fed back through the cartridge.

In other words, much detail and dynamics pressed into the record may not make it out to the speakers without proper vibration control.

Dude, where’s my dynamic range?

These additional vibrations muddy the sound, raise the noise floor, obscure low amplitude details, truncate bass extension, and compress dynamic peaks by dissipating and masking energy generated by the cantilever that should have entered the signal path. Remarkably, very few turntable designs in the “golden age of LP playback” addressed these vibration issues beyond slapping a rubber mat on the platter and attaching cushy feet to the bottom. Is it any wonder, then, that:

• LP sound is often characterized as compressed, noisy, and muddy
  • LPs’ vaunted “warmth” is mischaracterized as an excess of euphonic harmonic distortion (as was posited by a detractor in the previous thread)

I (and many vinylphiles) have a different idea:

• Compression, noise, and mud come from vibration mis-management in the playback chain
  • LPs’ vaunted "warmth" comes from its near infinite resolution of minute changes in amplitude. It re-creates fine nuances of musical expression that even 24-bit digital can't perform, let alone 16-bit. It is this resolution of amplitude that provides a near-liquid sense of continuity, resulting in the overall descriptive characterization of “warmth.”

Therefore, the better the vibrations and resonances in an LP playback chain are managed, the bigger the dynamic range along with improved nuance, clarity, frequency extension (better bass and treble extremes), and musical “warmth.”

Most of the engineering in today's fully manual turntables is concentrated on vibration control. Here is an example, the Music Hall MMF 7.1 turntable, which is similar to PunkAvenger's 'table.

amhmmf7nc_lg.jpg

This turntable has vibration control in nearly every design feature as described here.

• The plinth (the rectangular platform) has an upper and lower level. The space between is filled with a shock-absorbing elastomer. Both parts are made of MDF, which is dense and fairly non-resonant.
  • Platter and tonearm are attached to the upper plinth; the platter bearing is attached (i think) to the lower plinth.
  • Motor sits in a cutout in the plinth and sits independently on the shelf below on its own shock absorbing pad.
  • The connection between motor and platter is an elastic belt, which filters out motor vibrations before they reach the platter.
  • The platter is acrylic, which is composed of random variable size molecule chains, which keeps resonances low in amplitude and evenly spread out.
  • The main shaft of the tonearm is tapered to break up standing waves inside, and it is made of carbon fiber, which is both extremely rigid (so it does not waggle in response to the cartridge cantilever movements) and well damped
  • The headshell is an integrated part of the tonearm, so there is no joint to flex between the cartridge and tonearm.
  • The counterweight on the tonearm is de-coupled from the tonearm so it also acts as a vibration damper.
  • The platter mat is thick felt, which is an effective noise isolator between platter vibrations and the record.
  • At the center of the platter you can see a screw-on record clamp. This quells vibrations in the spindle shaft and vibrations and resonances in the record itself.

Quite a bit different from the turntables you're used to, no?

But what if you want better turntable performance, but aren't prepared to spend the $1300 for an MMF 7.1 ($1500 with factory installed/aligned cartridge)? There are a few other approaches. There are turntable designs with vibration isolation in mind all the way down to $349, $379 in an assortment of designer colors. What do you give up? First of all, speed consistency. Many of the sub-$1K belt drive turntables have audible pitch variation on solo piano. You may or may not notice. Some can be improved with an add-on speed controller, which adds about half again to the price of the turntable itself. Any of them can be improved with aftermarket feet, turntable mat, record clamp, etc. Also, the lowest price turntables like this don't accommodate a wide range of cartridges unless you add an aftermarket counterweight which range from $20 to $100. To their credit, however, these entry level models are built mostly of vibration-damping MDF, use a fairly quiet motor which is further isolated by the belt drive, and a fairly decent tonearm that is far more rigid, and helps the cartridge extract more music and leave more noise behind than the tonearms we used 20 years ago.

There is a third approach, the one I chose for myself: A Technics SL1210 M5G with some aftermarket mods and tweaks. Advantages include:

• The speed accuracy and consistency of the Technics SL12x0 series is about as good as it gets. Belt drive turntables that approach the SL12x0s' speed accuracy cost around $5K and up.
  • They are inherently quiet and vibration-free. They do, however, require a little aftermarket "help" to attain the subjectively lower noise floor and improve inner clarity that comes easily to well-damped belt drive turntables.
  • Precisely and solidly built. Tonearm bearings are finished to within .5 micron; the plinth is a massive aluminum casting. Weight is about 27 lbs.
  • Easy and relatively inexpensive to tweak, resulting in significant improvements in dynamic range, clarity, and musicality.

Disadvantages:

• Out of the box the SL12x0 TTs sound only so-so, rather murky and compressed.
  • Wiring inside the tonearm is substandard, imparting a certain darkness to the sound UNLESS you get the upmarket SL1210 M5G, which uses quality oxygen-free copper in the cabling and gold-plated RCA plugs. Rewiring the tonearm with good wire runs about $169 (at http://www.kabusa.com) unless you are an accomplished DIY-er.
  • There are inherent resonances in the platter and tonearm tube. Undamped, the machined aluminum platter rings like a bell--really.
  • Tonearm isn't well damped; jumps groove of warped records fairly easily.
  • Included feet and turntable mat are inadequate; so is the turntable's overall resistance to external vibration. Originally the mat was 1/4" thick solid rubber and weighed over a pound. The original 17 oz. "Supermat" is available from www.kabusa.com for a mere $20. If you order a Technics DD table from him, he includes it at no extra charge.

Here's my rig to illustrate how to get more performance out of a vintage direct drive design:

CIMG0824.jpg

• Chose the SL1210 M5G with the improved tonearm wiring
  • Replaced stock mat with heavy sorbothane mat which performs three functions effectively: 1) extra weight dampens platter ring; 2) Prevents rotational or motor noise from reaching the cartridge; 3) Absorbs vibrations and resonances in the record (excited by the moving stylus) so they don't smear the sound.
  • Added low-cost rubber record grip (truncated rubber cone placed on spindle); this further reduces vibration sent up through the spindle and especially damps vibrations and resonances in the vinyl record. On records with noisy surfaces it noticeably drops the noise level.
  • Wrapped tonearm in plumbers' teflon tape, which completely quelled a resonance around 3Khz.
  • Replaced standard Technics headshell with this one, which is extremely rigid, non-resonant, has significantly better wiring, and adjustable azimuth (enables me to eliminate any diagonality where the stylus meets the record groove).
  • Added aftermarket damping trough to tonearm ($150, my most expensive tweak/mod), which enables tonearm to track hideous warps and removes noise and chatter from the signal chain.
    CIMG0823.jpg
  • Created somewhat elaborate construct of vibration management layers to drain vibration out of the turntable base and isolate turntable from in-room vibrations:
    • Swapped stock rubbery feet for solid brass cones which thread into the same sockets, damp vibrations, and direct them downwards to...
    • Surface protectors that sit atop Vibrapods, which dissipate the vibrations from the brass cones. The Vibrapods sit atop...
    • A thick butcher-block cutting board, which breaks up and dampens resonances coming from either direction.
    • Butcher block is supported by two full-width silicon gel pads. They're "repurposed" wrist pads for computer keyboards.

[*]I never play records with the dustcover in place. The SL1210 M5G model makes this easy as it comes without hinges. I lift the dustcover off and place it somewhere else.

Each change brought an immediate, noticeable, quite audible improvement to the sound quality, which my wife confirmed and described in her own terms without any prompting from me. The total result is that this playback rig is very rhythmic (thanks to the quartz-controlled direct drive), dynamic, quiet, musical, extended at the frequency extremes (both high treble and low bass), and provides a wealth of inner detail, making it easy to hear deeply into the recordings. It is especially good at enabling you to hear subtle vocal harmony blends in the mix.

I also have help from a great cartridge mounted on that inert headshell, the Audio Technica AT150MLX:

AT150MLX_md.jpg

There is an internally similar cartridge called the AT440MLa for quite a bit less money:

AT440MLm.jpg

Its body is all plastic; the AT150MLX uses an extruded aluminum body with a thick, inert stylus housing. The At150MLX is noticeably cleaner and more neutral and linear owing to the superior damping properties of cast or extruded aluminum over plastic. Vibration control has to start at the beginning. If your cartridge body buzzes or sings, there is no way to fix it other than replacing it with something else.

Here's another example. Denon has been making a broadcast standard low output moving coil cartridge for 47 years, the DL-103 at $199:

DL103_md.jpg

With the right tonearm and setup, this cartridge is considered a grand over-achiever in some circles. While its motor assembly is precise and top-notch, it performance is limited, however, by its resonant and not-so-rigid plastic housing. Enter a small cable and speaker company in Utah, Zu Audio, who buys these cartridges from Denon, removes the plastic housing, and re-pots the cartridge in a solid aluminum housing, raising the price to $399:

Zu_DL_103_Grade__48cf6762de2b4.jpg

How much difference did that remount make in its sound quality? Consider these concluding words in the Stereophile review:

The stock Denon DL-103 is a superb cartridge and a remarkable buy; if $229 is the limit of your moving-coil cartridge budget, you can do no better, assuming you're prepared to work with it and to toe the setup line described above. But for almost twice the money, the Zu DL-103 will indeed bring that much more pleasure, and then some. The Zu doesn't just slay giants: It rips their beating heart from their chests, shows it to them, finishes them off, then chases their souls and drags them down to hell.

The "giants" the reviewer is referring to are exotic moving coil cartridges that cost $2000 to $3500. That's the difference that vibration control makes in LP playback.

11 answers to this question

Wow! I'm famous :lol: ... fortunately I bought mt mmf-5 w/goldring cartridge when it was only $550 ... Thats about the top of my "turntable economic comfort zone" :lol: , bought around 2000 or so ... (but I don't think it will ever wear out, so thats a bargain)

and don't break the stylus in a moving trip peeps, replacement stylus (or needle to the layman :lol: ) was $187.00, discount price!

Where can I buy the Zu Audio cartridges for $399?

I can't guarantee what the price is in Sweden, but Zu Audio has a distributor there, and here's the contact info:

SWEDEN

Audio Concept

Sodra Agnegatan 29 . 11229

Stockholm Sweden

+46 8 6507250 Tel

http://www.audioconcept.se

[email protected]

Here's the general Zu Audio Contact page.

Also, on this page, Zu now offers their Zu-103 in a price range from $399 to $699 depending on the accuracy of the channel balance. This is a recent development, and the reviews are all from when they had a single model at $399.

This is a low output moving coil cartridge. Do you have a step-up transformer or MC phono stage?

I recommend you read every review you can get your hands on for this cartridge, because getting the 103 to sing can be tricky. The Zu version has much of the fuss designed out of it, however. The DL-103 is an old broadcast design and has an intentionally short, stiff cantilever (low compliance) to hold up under back-cueing. The low compliance demands a tonearm with a high effective mass -- around 33g. With the original DL-103 in plastic this was a problem as it only weighed about 7g. The DL-103, however, solves the effective mass problem because the cartridge weighs 14g, which means if you start with a tonearm with an effective mass of 12-18g, the total weight with Zu-103 will come out about right (30-33g). With such a high effective mass, however, you may need to get a heavier counterweight for your tonearm. According to the reviews I've read, this cart tracks best around 2.5g.

Read all the Zu-103 reviews on their website. In addition, here's the Stereophile review. The Tone Publications review is also very helpful. To read it, go here and download Issue 15. The review starts on p. 14.

I used to like the Shure cartridges with the stabilization 'brush' because the brush ended up dry-cleaning your record as it played.

The first cartridge I put on my new turntable 2-1/2 yrs ago was the Shure M97xE with the stabilizer brush. It helps track warped records and does catch the random dust on the record surface. Since then I've added a fluid damper to my tonearm and have upgraded to a much better cartridge.

A very effective surface cleaner I've found since then are the high-nap microfiber towels marketed for cleaning autos. They have something like 90,000 fibers per square inch, which is sufficient to get into the microscopic record groove. I got a package of 25 16"x16" microfiber towels at Sam's Club for about $10. Before I put a record on, I roll one up and run it over the record to remove dust. If the record's dirtier than that I spray on some record cleaner and use the towel to first wet-clean it and then dry it. It works very well, especially for the money.

In fact, before I got the bag of towels, I'd been using a $25 carbon fiber record brush. It didn't take long using the microfiber towels to learn that they simply work better.

Where can I buy the Zu Audio cartridges for $399?

I

This is a low output moving coil cartridge. Do you have a step-up transformer or MC phono stage?

I have an exakt copy of the Red Rose Rosette II phono amp. Specifications: http://www.redrosemusic.com/literature/rosette2.pdf

And an early 90's Ortofon Gold MKII cartridge. I don't know how long I can use it before the internal parts gets old. I've heard the suspension in old cartridges can become bad with old age.

Ortofon 20 Mk-II technical specification are : Frequency response: 20Hz~40KHz (probably at 3db not sure about this). Output @ 5cm/s: 0,2mV @ 45°. Channel separation: 25dB @1KHz or better. Tracking force: 1,6 to 2 grams. FIM Distortion: less than 1% at recommended tracking force.

I have a syrinx LE1 tonearm:

Effective length: 228mm

Overhang: 16.3mm

Mounting distance: 211.7mm

Mounting hole diameter: 30mm

Effective mass: 11g

Review

The Syrinx LE 1 had a distinctive sound, almost a crispness in the midband which was not severe enough to warrant the term colouration. It's hallmark was an above average level of clarity coupled with good stereo focus - £108 HiFi Choice 1984

I don't know If I need to change my cartridge due to old age. If so, would the Zu-103 fit my tonearm?

I have an exakt copy of the Red Rose Rosette II phono amp. Specifications: http://www.redrosemusic.com/literature/rosette2.pdf

Nice! If you get the Zu-103, set the MC input value on this phono stage to 47 (NOT 47K) or 100 ohms. Try both out. The internal resistance of the Zu-103 is 40 ohms. At any rate, you are obviously well set up to use a cartridge with 0,3mV, which is the Zu's output.

And an early 90's Ortofon Gold MKII cartridge. I don't know how long I can use it before the internal parts gets old. I've heard the suspension in old cartridges can become bad with old age.

Some suspensions (such as pure gum rubber) can harden with age. Butyl rubber doesn't harden, nor do most synthetics and I don't know what Ortofon uses. I've read enthusiastic reviews of users who buy 30+ old NOS cartridges. What's of greater concern at this point is the condition of the stylus. Stylus should be changed out or re-tipped after about 1,000 hours of play. If you've been using yours for an hour a week for 19 years, you'd just be reaching the replacement or re-tipping point. If you're unsure, take it to a turntable tech who has a microscope to examine the stylus. A worn, ragged stylus can damage records.

I have a syrinx LE1 tonearm:

Effective length: 228mm

Overhang: 16.3mm

Mounting distance: 211.7mm

Mounting hole diameter: 30mm

Effective mass: 11g

...Would the Zu-103 fit my tonearm?

I just did the calculations and also looked at a picture of your tonearm.

syrinx_le1.jpg

The Syrinx plus a Zu-103 should have a tonearm resonance somewhere between 10 and 14 Hz. 10 is absolutely ideal and 14 is not bad. I also notice that the rear stub of the Syrinx tonearm is fairly long, so you should be able to put the counterweight pretty far back to accommodate the weight of the Zu.

In other words, looks like a good match.

Thanks. I just mailed Ortofon to see what they would charge for a re-tip. If it's cheaper with the Zu-103 I will go for that instead.

Record playing is still of interest. I still run my DUAL CS 626 bought in 1980.

Archived