Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's the scoop on the Monaco?

Hi Gent's!

What is the scoop on these? They appear to have a huge upper heel byt the neck. Does it get in the way? I'll have to cruise out to Greg's store and check out a few!

I tend to be a singlecut kind of guy and lean toward LPs, LP Historics, PRS Singlecuts and have considered some McInturffs and Chafins lately. McNaughts are too pricey!

In fact, I am thinking the Super Pro must sound HUGE!

Thanks!

GD

Every one that I've test played has been one of the most comfortable single cut guitars I've tried. That shelf absolutely does not get in my way and I have smallish hands. I've been wanting to get a Monaco Elite Mahogany for a while but we just got a new car a week and a half ago so no guitars for me for a while. :blink:

I've had an Elite for a couple of years. The shelf is not an issue with me. As a custom order, Hamer will do a blended neck heel. This doesn't really take away the shelf, but it does reduce the thickness where the neck meets the body and it is Schweet!! Phoenix has one - how 'bout a pic sir?

BTW, I played my Elite for about 8 hours the other night and it's taken place as my # 1. They are awesome guitars.

Gary

If you can play a Lesfri kin'Paul, you can play a Monaco. A Paul has a big block that gets in my hand's way if I try playing anything tricky up in the high region of the fretboard. The only single cutaway guitar I've played that the neck joint DIDN'T get in my way on was my Carvin SC90.

My Monaco Super Pro's neck is actually far more comfortable than any Le$ P@ul neck I've played, and access to the high frets isn't any worse.

I didn't buy the guitar to shred it up above the 18th fret. I bought it to record heavy riffs, and it's great for that. If I want to shred up the neck and bend up from the 22nd fret to that high E, I'll do it on my Chapparal.

Wow, thanks! I didn't realize Hamer could do a blended neck heel - that is great! For the price, I may go this route for my next guitar than looking used. Might as well get what I want, ya know. Thanks for clearing up the neck joint issue!

I was thinking I'd look into a McNaught but too expensive, then maybe a McInturff or something....but now maybe the Monaco. My only complaint about Hamer has always been the 14" radius neck. I prefer 12"

I agree about the shredding...you can do that on a a PRS or Hamer Studio. Heck, I can get pretty fast on the upper reaches of an LP. You figure, lots of pros do it because the tone is still the pay off.

I'm not a big Monaco Elite fan...sorry. I love Hamers, but IMHO the Monaco just doesn't do it for me. Going ga-ga over that blended neck heel makes no sense to me...*this* is how it should be done. I don't like the color on this one...but that neck joint is the shiznitz. I owned a Heatley Tradition and it is a spectacular guitar. I bought mine used, and unfortunately, I didn't care for the neck that the previous owner speced out. I actually like the Tradition better than my Baker Crucible.

Heatley Tradition...

back.jpg

side.jpg

frnt2.jpg

I'm not a big Monaco Elite fan...sorry. I love Hamers, but IMHO the Monaco just doesn't do it for me. Going ga-ga over that blended neck heel makes no sense to me...*this* is how it should be done. I don't like the color on this one...but that neck joint is the shiznitz. I owned a Heatley Tradition and it is a spectacular guitar. I bought mine used, and unfortunately, I didn't care for the neck that the previous owner speced out. I actually like the Tradition better than my Baker Crucible.

Heatley Tradition...

back.jpg

side.jpg

frnt2.jpg

WOW WOWO WOW! That is a beautiful guitar and that neck joint is on target! Looks like the McInturff neck joint I believe on the Taurus? I have never heard of Heatley!

WOW WOWO WOW! That is a beautiful guitar and that neck joint is on target! Looks like the McInturff neck joint I believe on the Taurus? I have never heard of Heatley!

I have owned a few McInturffs and I would have to give the nod to Heatley. Nothing against Terry's stuff...he makes a great guitar.

Scott Heatley is a very small builder from Canada, and he is really building some exquisite instruments. Most of the guys on this board know that I have had some outstanding instruments from the "uber-booteeek" builders, and I can honestly say that the Heatley was every bit as good, and in most cases better than anything I have owned....thats some pretty good company..

Hamer

Mcnaught

Mcinturff

Huber

Baker

PRS

Jackson Custom Shop

etc......

Heatley guitars

Poe:

That's a ROCKIN' Blue Les Paul!! :blink:

Poe:

That's a ROCKIN' Blue Les Paul!! wink.gif

What part of...

I don't like the color on this one...but that neck joint is the shiznitz.

...did you not understand. LOL!! B):P:huh::ph34r::blink::D

BTW...two more days, and I unleash the houds with bees in their mouths...and the man eating sharks with laser beams on their heads. :lol:

I have owned a few McInturffs and I would have to give the nod to Heatley. Nothing against Terry's stuff...he makes a great guitar.

Scott Heatley is a very small builder from Canada, and he is really building some exquisite instruments. Most of the guys on this board know that I have had some outstanding instruments from the "uber-booteeek" builders, and I can honestly say that the Heatley was every bit as good, and in most cases better than anything I have owned....thats some pretty good company..

Hamer

Mcnaught

Mcinturff

Huber

Baker

PRS

Jackson Custom Shop

etc......

Heatley guitars

Thanks for the info! I checked Heatley's site and didn't see that model, only models with f holes or semi hollow? not too familiar with that style. I was more hoping in the future to get an LP style guitar with better upper fret access or smoother upper access.

Maybe Hamer knows something we don't? after all, they wouldn't use that neck joint if it didn't make a noticable difference in tone or resonance. :blink:

The nicest neck joints I've seen in picture (non in person yet) are the Robin pointed out by Greg, the Heatley tradition (only seen as semi hollow on the site), and the McInturff Taurus.

It's there. Look under Galley

Heatley Traditions

front.jpg

Holy Wow! Man, those look nice.

Thanks guys! I may have to email them for some information! How is the feel and tone next to say an LP Standard or Historic of which I have more familiarity. I tend to like a good hunk of neck, but that heatley is sharp - nice headstock and gorgeous top. You never see these on ebay.

I don't know, I was playing my LP for quite a while tonight and can see how that shelf on the Monaco would not hinder playing judging by the postion of my fretting hand. But, I can see how the blended joint or sculpted body would be a nice plus! I figure, Hamer makes that neck joint huge for a reason!

But, I am going to look into that Heatley - that is sharp! Have any of you had a chance to play the Heatley and the Monaco? Does one have a beefier or better neck? The neck is everything - if it doesn't play or feel right, it's difficult to vibe with a guitar.

The shelf is a non-issue for me (and others), as far as playing goes. In fact, the unique look of the Monaco is a huge plus in my book. I am not at all interested in a guitar that looks or sounds just like a LP (or strat or tele or ...). Of course, my 0.02.

Get a Monaco!

mike

The shelf is a non-issue for me (and others), as far as playing goes. In fact, the unique look of the Monaco is a huge plus in my book. I am not at all interested in a guitar that looks or sounds just like a LP (or strat or tele or ...). Of course, my 0.02.

Get a Monaco!

mike

I am feeling the same Mike, thanks for the input. I should be able to swing a new guitar this spring or summer so I may be out to see Greg and his Monaco collection and maybe order one with the blended heel. I agree on the fact that it is a little different - it is rather unique in appearance. It looks like it was flattened because it is thinner than an LP and wider. At least I see that in the pictures.

If I want something almost like an LP clone other than the headstock and maybe an improved neck joint - I guess I'd rather just get the LP. I guess the Monaco wins out. The final test will be playability and the all important vibe!

I hope you can find one that suits you. For me, I hardly pick up another guitar nowadays. Both of my Monacos are fantastics players, but the Mon III is my # 1, esp. after installing Lollar P90s :blink:

I wish I could help a bit regarding neck size, but I don't have many guitars to compare it to. The only thing I can say about all my Hamers is that the neck carve is very similar to my old beater Warmoth strat/tele, maybe a little larger overall. In a word, perfect for me. That is the feature that puts the Monaco over the top for me; I can't imagine a better neck for my hands.

mike

But, I am going to look into that Heatley - that is sharp! Have any of you had a chance to play the Heatley and the Monaco? Does one have a beefier or better neck? The neck is everything - if it doesn't play or feel right, it's difficult to vibe with a guitar.

The advantage of going to Heatley is that he will carve the neck exactly the way you want it...just tell him what you want, and its done. Hamer will also do this for you...but they charge. I am not sure how much...

The Heatley that I had was ordered with a slight "V" neck and I really didn't like it. Another Tradition is on my short list of guitars, and I will order it with a big '59 type neck.

The Hamer necks are all excellent...the Monaco is no exception.

Archived