RobB Posted March 19, 2005 Posted March 19, 2005 Can anyone give me some opinions of these bridges? I know MikeLee has mentioned the brass plate wears quickly. I'm thinking of replacing the bridge in my MirageII, so any guidance would be appreciated.
tafkathundernotes Posted March 19, 2005 Posted March 19, 2005 You could try asking the man himself . Send an email to jmann@mannmadeusa.com John is a friend of mine and the owner of the company. A few years back, he sold the company to his employees and moved on to another company as a mechanical engineer. The people running mannmadeusa at that time did a poor job and a lot of damage to the company and its reputation. John has since re-acquired the company and is in the process of reviving it. I don't know how far along he's come in that regard.For a while, they made the bridges for PRS guitars - so it should be good stuff!
Guest Mike Lee Posted March 20, 2005 Posted March 20, 2005 I put a Mann Made PRS style bridge on my (former) Lefty Mirage I. The original holes for the six screws didn't line up exactly with the holes in the Mann bridge. It ended up being supported mostly by only two of the six screws, and the knife edges on those holes got ruined very quickly.The original PRS bridges John Mann supplied were one-piece cast bronze. The newer PRS and Mann Made bridges are machined brass. Brass is simply too soft to hold an edge. The bridges and screws have to be perfectly aligned and set up to maintain any durability.IMO the only trem bridges to consider are those with hardened steel base plates, or at least hardened steel inserts for the knife edges. I also prefer two-screw with threaded inserts versus six-screw mounting. Gotoh makes some really good trems, the 1055, 1088, and 1099 are good examples. The 1088 in my Grosh Strat is great.
BCR Greg Posted March 20, 2005 Posted March 20, 2005 Modified ABM Bridge. NOT a drop in, but a very good piece indeed.
kurtsstuff Posted March 20, 2005 Posted March 20, 2005 Yeah...it's ok but....it'd be smokin if it had some EMG's innit!! hehe
RobB Posted March 21, 2005 Author Posted March 21, 2005 Yeah, Greg, that looks nice buy I'm not interested in plugging/drilling my guitar. Any suggestions for a modern-vintage replacement? I've got a Callaham vintage trem installed currently...
sw686blue Posted March 21, 2005 Posted March 21, 2005 Greg,Whose guitar is dat?? I want answers and I want them now.Insannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!!Nick
virtual Posted March 21, 2005 Posted March 21, 2005 ... and what's the deal with those pickups. Cool covers.
BCR Greg Posted March 21, 2005 Posted March 21, 2005 http://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=705
virtual Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 I thought I asked you to take your tittlers to the Outer Circle LOL.
sw686blue Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 Greg,Are those 2 guitars one and the same? Who did the refin?Nick
BCR Greg Posted March 22, 2005 Posted March 22, 2005 Different guitars. The red one's a Maple Top that I turned into a triple coil monster.Chris and his damn Mirages.... LOL
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.